Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Increasing garden  (Read 6751 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Increasing garden
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 10:13:57 pm »
"Certain size" @macgro7 - do you know what size ?
I don't remember exactly unfortunately - it would have to be verified.

I bought a 10 metre long polytunnel on ebay and put it up in my city garden. Actually I joined to it the one I already had - now it's 16 metres long, by 3 metres wide and 2 metres high.

They relaxed planning laws recently - even before you could put a 12' shed in your garden and now make an extension to your house without planning permission or notification.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2021, 12:50:23 pm »
This is on Northern Polytunnels website -
"Planning Guidelines for Polytunnels
Polytunnels generally do not require planning permission so long as they meet the following criteria:

The polytunnel should not be taller than 3 metres.
You should only use the polytunnel for domestic use
The polytunnel should not be nearer to the road than it is to the nearest part of your house
The site you wish to place your polytunnel should not have a listed building, or be an area of Natural Outstanding Beauty.
The polytunnel should take up less than 50% of the garden surrounding the house. In Scotland this figure is 30%.
The above list should give you a good idea of where to place your polytunnel to avoid having to seek planning permission. However, it’s always a good idea to phone your local planning office if you’re at all unsure.

Please note, these regulations don’t cover commercial polytunnels, or polytunnels that will be used for commercial purposes. If you’re planning on installing a commercial polytunnel it’s important that you look into how planning regulations may affect your proposals."
This is the link to their commercial polytunnels - https://www.northernpolytunnels.co.uk/commercial-range.html
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2021, 01:27:47 pm »
Planning officers charge £1000 for "pre advice"  ;)
At least they wanted that from us.
Better to have friends working for the council or ring the polytunnel company - they will know all the rules.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 07:02:31 pm »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2021, 07:08:08 pm »
Planning officers charge £1000 for "pre advice"  ;)
At least they wanted that from us.
Better to have friends working for the council or ring the polytunnel company - they will know all the rules.

What development were you proposing @macgro7 - The Small-holder's Polytunnel University ?  Lol

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2021, 10:50:12 am »
We were enquiring about a property for sale - it was just an empty 12 acre field right next to housing estate - we just wanted to ask if we were permitted to build a single house - for ourselves.
They wanted £1000 to just speak to us - before we even own the land.
I'd rather start smoking  :roflanim:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 11:28:24 am »
We were enquiring about a property for sale - it was just an empty 12 acre field right next to housing estate - we just wanted to ask if we were permitted to build a single house - for ourselves.

Better to talk to a private planning individual who would give you an hour's professional advice, unbiased by possible local council prejudices, for @£100.

But realistically macgro - I would have thought that if there were even the slightest chance of planning, it would have been snapped up instantly.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2021, 01:27:59 pm »

Better to talk to a private planning individual who would give you an hour's professional advice, unbiased by possible local council prejudices, for @£100.

But realistically macgro - I would have thought that if there were even the slightest chance of planning, it would have been snapped up instantly.
Oh it was. There was a deadline for submitting offers. It was bought by a large garden plant nursery right next door.
Perhaps not now, but in 20, 30 years it will be worth millions. We made and offer of £260k - asking price was £180k. We didn't get it.

It was in a fantastic location - one side bordering the city of Leicester, on the other side another housing estate belonging to Market Harborough Council (I.e. outside the city), and The mentioned nursery.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS