Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grease for older tractors  (Read 2882 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Grease for older tractors
« on: May 02, 2021, 07:17:56 am »
We have 2 tractors, B and G reg, anyone know what kind of grease would suit them? I have a shop supply of WD40 (normal and spray grease) but mum says we need the heavy duty stuff that doesn't dry out as easy.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Grease for older tractors
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 09:21:18 am »
Depends on what part you are greasing, generally an EP2 / lithium  grease, either in a tub for brush / wipe on applications or in a cartridge for the grease gun  application via grease nipples. Remember grease is cheaper than worn and seized components ,and should be done frequently.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Grease for older tractors
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 07:33:40 pm »
Interesting question:  I imagine [member=194324]PipKelpy[/member] you are wondering whether the wear and tear on an older tractor requires a more careful selection of greasing product/s (?). 

I'm no grease expert and I'm going to run with Rtb's knowledge about mechanical stuff and stick with his answer, i.e. use an EP2 Lithium grease for pretty much everything (because, if one researches grease spec's it will soon "do your head in").  However, I have a couple of thoughts AND a question myself:

I use a molybdenum disulphide reinforced (moly) lithium grease for all of my 7 yr young tractor's  greasing points - steering pivots/linkages and 3PL.  (Tractor wheel bearings and front/rear axle-swivel bearing are sealed.)  I also use the same grease on my disk harrow's plain axle bearings and on my flail mower (both for the flails axle** and rear ground-roller bearings).

I went for moly grease based on general guidance that layers of molybdenum disulphide are deposited on bearing surfaces over time and helps protect bearings even if the protective qualities of other constituent parts of the grease have reduced during operations.  (Not an excuse though for lax bearing greasing regimes !!)

**HOWEVER, reviewing my universal greasing choice at this point, I am wondering whether I should re-consider how I grease the flail mower's flail-axle bearings which turn at a very high lick (I've just checked and more than 2000 r.p.m apparently). 

Q - should I use something else for my flail's flail-axle bearings perhaps ??  (Normally re-greased every 8 hrs against a 10 hrs servicing recommendation.) 
[/font]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:51:09 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS