Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese have started laying again  (Read 1839 times)

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
Geese have started laying again
« on: November 09, 2010, 11:05:14 am »
 Thought someone might be able to help with this query.

Some of our geese  have started laying again a couple of weeks ago. (I remember reading somewhere that this can happen so we're not worried.)

But my question is should we try to hatch some? I've successfully hatched Duck eggs in November so guess we might be successful, but has anyone tried Goose eggs this late in the year?

We've seen them mating so they could be fertile, is there an easy way to check? My son says that someone told him that if we crack an egg and there is a light coloured spot on the yolk it's a sign of fertility, has anyone else heard this theory?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Geese have started laying again
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 03:10:31 pm »
You will be feeding goslings all through winter if they do hatch at all. Best wait till spring and get that free grass as goslings wont half take some feeding. Also if you let them nest naturally the frost/ice will kill the eggs as geese dont sit like a chook does, they wander off the nest for hours.If you do want to hatch I would try an incubator as it is unfair to ask a goose using its reserves to fight winter to sit and lose condition on a nest.Good luck whatever

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS