Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Curlews Return  (Read 15088 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
The Curlews Return
« on: March 07, 2021, 03:06:36 pm »
5th March ..... The Curlews return to our part of Mid Wales from their over wintering grounds.

We thought that we'd just caught the first part of their iconic call earlier this week but yesterday we definitely heard them and twice so far today.

Glad they're back. Wondering if any will best successfully this year.

Anyone else heard their returning curlew yet?

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: The Curlews Return
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 07:33:25 pm »
Went for a walk yesterday in County Durham / Edge of Pennines and plenty of curlews about!

(Also a lot of lapwings and fieldfare!)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 09:46:21 pm »
Not yet, but there's only one pair which comes to this area now.  We'll keep our ears peeled  ;D
We did hear oyster catchers last week but not since.  No lark yet.  I am waiting for the Arkaig Ospreys to return - they usually come back from mid-March onwards.
There is the occasional frog croaking in our pond, but my son who lives in Hampshire, has a pond stuffed with frogspawn already.
I wonder if there will be a Curlew cam again this year? I loved watching last year  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

CUjimmy

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 07:48:51 am »
When I was a lad we used to hear Curlews all the time but now the the habitats that they used to like have been opened up as public parks and with the onslaught of dog walkers some commercial with 10 - 15 dogs, people walking , people flying model aeroplanes, and the odd illegal trail biking , they have gone , some kids will never know what they sound like let alone look like , sad day

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 01:12:52 pm »
CUjimmy ....it's so sad. They are in serious decline here in Wales too. Many factors, I believe. Loss of habitat, drainage, over grazing, cutting of hay, pesticides etc etc
There is a project to 'headstart' the chicks just over the border in Shropshire. It is this year that some of these chicks, now being mature, should hopefully return. They are looking out for them now. The project is called ....Curlew Country......if you are interested in taking a look.
Fleecewife .... I'm not sure about the live cam this year. I think they are embarking on a new joint venture this year. I'll have to find out more details.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 06:09:26 pm »
Thanks inthehills -  :fc:  there's something for the spring and summer.  :sunshine:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 08:17:25 pm »
Yes, they're doing the live cam again this year!

And they're looking out for the headstart chicks who should be returning as adults this year.

wildandwooly

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 10:59:30 pm »
I've just recently come across the Shropshire Curlew Cam purely by chance as I was looking stuff up about curlews. Looks amazing. It's great they're doing it again this year so hopefully I'll get a chance to see them on the webcam  :fc: We've had curlews for a few weeks here now. County Durham/ Pennines. It's def a very distinctive call they have. I used to hear them when I lived high up in Yorkshire so it's lovely to hear them now here as well. We have some proper hay meadows here luckily and we get a lot of curlews.  Sounds like I'm not that far from where you are Blondie! We get lapwings here too and leave the barn top door open opposite us as the swallows come every year. They give quite a display right in front of our patio windows esp in early evening. Amazing and certainly feel very privileged to see them so close. Prob after all the flying insects/midges I expect  :yum:  ;D

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 01:46:12 pm »
The curlews are back here as well, but do not seem as numerous as in previous years.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 08:53:29 pm »
Curlew Cam is nearly ready.

Check out Curlew Country on FB or their website.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 10:13:21 pm »
I saw my first of the year last week, plus one on our land this morning  :love: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 01:54:52 pm »
Curlew Cam is nearly ready.

Check out Curlew Country on FB or their website.

I don't do facebook, although I tried to see if I could find anything there, but no, and the website has nothing yet about when the camera might start.  So for techno-pathetic folk like me, could you put up a link when it all happens please in the hills? I loved watching the curlewcam last year, and with the disaster at Loch Arkaig of no nesting pair of ospreys there, curlews could be my saviours.  I can't hear a single curlew here this year so far, and even the lapwings and oystercatchers we usually have are silent  :( .  There is a pair of martins directly above our front door though, so dodging them and their bombs all summer will be fun  :idea:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 03:52:15 pm »
Curlew Country’s Curlew Cam is back! Tune in now and follow this pairs journey : https://c Curlew Country’s Curlew Cam is back! Tune in now and follow urlewcountry.org/curlew-cam/ #CurlewCam2021
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 07:42:59 am by in the hills »

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 03:54:37 pm »
Oh blow, I'm not sure why the link that I've pasted above isn't showing, FW.

This happened a week or so ago when I posted a website link in the craft section. I think that SITN edited it so that it was visible. Help please ..... SITN!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 11:33:03 pm »
I thought I could alter it for you in the hills, but somehow I can't.  You can do it yourself by going to 'modify' Then highlight the url and click font size and up it to 10 or 12, then 'save' and repost.
Thanks in advance for posting it  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 11:37:22 pm by Fleecewife »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS