Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig length  (Read 1300 times)

CDC

• Joined Feb 2020
Pig length
« on: March 07, 2021, 11:47:46 am »
Sorry if this is a real rookie question! I have 7 pet pigs that I've rehomed froma lady who could no longer look after them. Six are 8-10 years old, and one is 3 yo. They are Kunes, wildboars, and kune wildboard cross. When they arrived i measured them and calculated their weight. I now want to measure and calculate again as they've ben with me a few months.

So my question is...

i understand the heart girth will change but will the length? Can i use my original length measurement or do I need to re-measure each time? I ask because masuring is a bit tricky, and i my measurements this time are very different from the first time, but I admit today's length measurements were not as carefuly done as the first time. Happy with the hear girth as that's much easier to get accurate.  Do you always measure length or can I take that as static in an dulat pig?

Thank you.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Pig length
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 12:31:00 pm »
Not in a fully grown, adult pig. Are you weighing them regularly for any reason? You can buy a pig weigh tape from fearings for not very much which is fairly accurate. Did you mean that some were wild boar as well as crosses?

CDC

• Joined Feb 2020
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 01:52:36 pm »
thank you. that's helpful. And i didnt realise you could get a weigh tape! I've been doing the girth x length calculation.

I am weighing them regularly just to kep an eye on them really as I dont have a huge amount of long-term experience. Also, one lost condition and was poorly so I am really working hard to keep him healthy and checking his weight is one way to do this (he was far too skinny!) Also, they need an invermectin shot and that's calculated by weight, so i wanted to double check them as the last time i weighed them as October as went into winter. I moved them to 'warmer' quarters (with outside access of course!) when we had minus 15C here and a foot of snow for two weeks!! So i was giving them a bit extra food to ensure they kept warm.  That's the long answer! Short answr is a) for the ivermectin shot and b) so i can keep track and ensure I am caring for them appropriately.

Thank you for taking the time to reply .. the info helps a lot as the girth measurement is actually easy to do (they all lovel belly rubs) it's just getting them to stay where i need them for the length that's the issue!

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 08:31:49 pm »
We always measure ours when they are at the trough. From neck to base of tale. Nothing distracts them from their food!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS