Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Movable run  (Read 5626 times)

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
Movable run
« on: March 02, 2021, 03:38:14 pm »
Looking for ideas to build a moveable rabbit and guinea pig hutch and run in one unit.

Nice accommodation and then netted run as large as possible

Thinking of something that could be moved over lots of blackberry bushes until they have eaten it all and then move it further along every now and then

Any ideas of designs?

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
Re: Movable run
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 03:42:53 pm »
Looking for ideas to build a moveable rabbit and guinea pig hutch and run in one unit.

Nice accommodation and then netted run as large as possible

Thinking of something that could be moved over lots of blackberry bushes until they have eaten it all and then move it further along every now and then

Any ideas of designs?

I don’t have a tractor to pull it but I think my land rover would do, or even the quad bike.

Would it be possible to have drag over lots of blackberry bushes but still be heavy enough to not stick up at all letting in foxes?

I wish I had a steam roller to pull it over all my blackberry bush🤣🤣🤣

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 05:41:49 pm »
I once came across (ont' web) a US broiler chicken farmer who had a large netted frame with wheels at one end:  he would pick up the other end just enough to move the frame regularly while hustling the in-mates as it moved along. 
Not sure that would work with much smaller creatures unless one has some sort of loose netting closing off the gap created at the lift-end and along the sides. 

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:15:17 pm »
What are you planning on keeping in there - rabbits or guinea pigs presumably?

Rabbits will tunnel out - they will do it overnight depending on your soil (we live on sandy soil and once had a rabbit tunnel 3+ feet during one night) - and guinea pigs don't like brambles that much.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 09:37:26 pm »
I told you in the other thread that thisnis exactly what I did with my rabbits  ;)

My rabbit tractor is only 2 x 4 ft. You could make it much bigger obviously.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 06:23:39 am »
I once came across (ont' web) a US broiler chicken farmer who had a large netted frame with wheels at one end:  he would pick up the other end just enough to move the frame regularly while hustling the in-mates as it moved along. 
Not sure that would work with much smaller creatures unless one has some sort of loose netting closing off the gap created at the lift-end and along the sides.

thinking a very large rabbit and guinea pig tractor combined. I read you can even include chickens all three get on well with each other as long as you don’t have a cockerel in with them.

I’m thinking of quite an ambitious project of making a rather large 60x30 foot run with good hutches and walk in accommodation one end. It would house meat rabbits, guinea pigs and laying chickens.

It would only just be movable due to the size but only need moving every week or so. I’m hoping to move by a very low geared winch.

Looking for rainwater harvesting and a float valve and have a few watering systems for redundancy so they always have plenty to drink.

I’m looking for some ideas how it could cope with a little uneven ground maybe chains and loose netting and hope to drag it over lots of blackberry bushes

Even considering have a goat pen and a goat chained to the outside of it to clear a lot of the blackberry brambles before I drag the tractor over it and constantly move it to new areas

Is it really difficult to stop foxes digging under and getting in? What are the best anti fox measures?

I also wondered about having fox traps all around it even included on the outside of the run using my rabbits and guinea pigs as bait👍

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 06:26:56 am »

Rabbits will tunnel out - they will do it overnight depending on your soil (we live on sandy soil and once had a rabbit tunnel 3+ feet during one night) - and guinea pigs don't like brambles that much.

Also pondering metal meshed bottom which would stop tunnelling out and foxes or other predators tunnelling in

But still allow feeding

This may also solve my problem of uneven ground and possible gaps
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 06:29:30 am by Orinlooper »

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 08:07:05 am »
Chaining a goat to anything is NOT a good idea.

For someone who is looking for easiest animals to keep, you seem to have some grand ideas which involve a LOT of work. 

You cannot keep animals and hope that they will look after themselves.  It doesn’t work like that. 

Foxes will get in/under/over and through anything to get a food source.
Best anti fox measure ...........
DO NOT HAVE ANIMALS in the first place

You say you want to clear brambles and keep grass short......

Buy a tractor, mower and a very heavy duty brush cutter and clear it your self.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 08:37:38 am »
My rabbit run is sort of similar to this one:

Keep it lightweight and simple. My one looks a bit heavier, it has metal corrugated roof. As I said before - metal grill as the floor, and also an attached pellet feeder (metal)
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 09:50:18 am »

And foxes will tunnel in overnight - we had this happen to our meat chicken tractor, which we'd used without issue for 8 years, then one night a smarter fox dug in. It now has skirts that we move with it daily.

Sounds like Joel Salatin at Polyface Farm? They also do rabbits on pasture: http://www.polyfacefarms.com/forage-based-rabbits/

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 10:49:45 am »
You should not ever have a goat on its own, nor is it recommended (and actually illegal) to "chain" them. Goats will clear areas of bramble and other weeds/trees etc, but have to have free reign, otherwise you will soon have a dead goat. Your best bet would be to fence of a largish area and let the goats eat it down, then use pigs in smaller enclosures to tidy it up and dig out the roots. This is done successfully in the US, where goats clear over grown areas for fire breaks.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 12:47:29 pm »

And foxes will tunnel in overnight - we had this happen to our meat chicken tractor, which we'd used without issue for 8 years, then one night a smarter fox dug in. It now has skirts that we move with it daily.

Sounds like Joel Salatin at Polyface Farm? They also do rabbits on pasture: http://www.polyfacefarms.com/forage-based-rabbits/
Yes! Joel Salatin does pastures rabbits. My idea came from him. And I have been doing it successfully for several years. However my rabbits were always only for home consumption and pets  ;)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 07:38:25 am »

Also pondering metal meshed bottom which would stop tunnelling out and foxes or other predators tunnelling in

But still allow feeding

How can you move a mess bottomed pen onto brambles? 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 07:35:14 pm »

But still allow feeding

How can you move a mess bottomed pen onto brambles?

Good point

You have to clear them first nd slowly feed them inside the run

I can get hold of some of these bulging site fencing and wondered about using them on the bottom and then upright posts and more of them on the top, maybe use 4 with mesh on the sides and a well designed hutch at the top that they can get in and out of

I just hope the grass and weeds will still be edible for them through the bottom

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 09:15:36 pm »
Rabbits and guinea pigs should not be kept together. The rabbits might kick or try to mount the guinea pigs, causing injuries.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS