Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wood chippings from a tree surgeon.  (Read 1367 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Wood chippings from a tree surgeon.
« on: February 18, 2021, 03:53:09 pm »
Hi all I've been offered wood chippings they will be green, and wondered if they?ll be safe to use in the gateways of the sheep paddocks?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Wood chippings from a tree surgeon.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 06:43:27 pm »
Would have thought they'd be ok. So long as they are not from poisonous trees like laurel or yew.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 06:59:22 pm »
Subject to landroverroy's comment, Lucky You !!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 03:14:01 pm »
Be aware that they will rot pretty quickly and if there is a lot of footfall/traffic will become boggy quite soon.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 06:00:49 pm »
I agree they will break down fairly quickly and make the gateway even worse , because they are green then it will be a compost heap so not even good for keeping to use as bedding

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 11:35:35 pm »
@shep53 and Buttermilk - useful input for dixie from your experiences.  I can't quite believe though that some coarse chippings will break down in a single Winter season.

(What do I know as I've not tried it, but I would personally give it a try if I was offered chippings for nowt !)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 09:06:54 am »
I used fresh chippings for gateways and footpaths. They last at least couple of years  :thumbsup:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 12:52:47 pm »
Would depend on how much rain , how thick the layer and how much traffic in gateway .   Very large chips from dry wood are used to make outdoor cattle areas and can last a couple of years , ive used very dry bark and chips as base for straw and when put out onto a dung heap can takes years to rot down , my experience with green fresh wood chips not so good as they do heat up and a bit of fungal growth
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:54:34 pm by shep53 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS