Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling price of pork  (Read 2676 times)

manyanypets

• Joined May 2014
Selling price of pork
« on: February 11, 2021, 10:19:08 am »
I rear pigs for my own table. I am not a trader of any sort,  but I always have friends and family asking for some of my home-reared pork.  I do give some pork free of charge to my nearest and dearest but I have never charged.  I am about to rear some more pigs, and again my friends are asking for some and willing to pay.  A bit of cash would contribute towards the costs and allow me to continue to enjoy my hobby.  I can work out the cost to rear the pigs, slaughter costs etc and divide it by the end weight of the pork - to get a price per lb, but are some cuts of pork more/less expensive than others?  I think they should be -  How do others price their pork?   Thanks

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Selling price of pork
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:27:26 am »
This year, ?10/kg for pork, burgers ?3 for 4, sausages ?2.50 for six.

Edit: The pound sign has become a question mark for some reason!

?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 06:07:13 pm »
You have the right approach with working out costs. It's amazing how many people don't. Look on line at farm shops, check out your butcher. Obviously you aren't looking to make a business from this but don't undervalue your product.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 07:36:35 am »
google wholesale prices  .... you will get an idea of what each cut is worth

Please remember even giving meat away comes under legislation .....  if it goes straight from butcher to customer you do not need any inspection/documentation ..... if you store it at all you need to report to env health and keep records.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 02:24:09 pm »
When I costed it up and offered to family at 'cost' they were a bit sniffy about it - they seemed to think it should be cheaper than supermarket meat.. Needless to say I don't sell to them anymore..

I think giving the odd joint away as a present or thank you is great, but when you start charging for it there are lots of hoops to jump through, its no longer as simple as collecting a bag of cut port and wrapping it up individually on the kitchen table  :-\

manyanypets

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 08:38:48 am »
Yes I do believe there is quite a lot of hoops to jump through to sell meat,  but I definitely don't intend to sell to the public - I don't mind giving some meat as a gift - but they often ask for specific cuts and they are willing to pay something, and I would rather they give me a contribution towards my costs to raise the animals than me just giving it away or having to say no.

I haven't done pigs for a few  years now.  I had a break from doing it.  But last time I did some, I rang up some official but I can't remember if it was environmental health to register my kitchen (I used to childmind and had to do this anyway)  or if it was Trading standards I rang.  Anyway, When I asked about selling to friends and family, I was told so long as it went straight from the butchers to the person's house within a short space of time, (can't remember the time probably within the hour) then there wasn't any regulations as it hasn't actually come to my home.   I haven't a clue if that is still the rule.   

With regards to costing, I suppose the other option is that I form a pig club with friends and family, and they all contribute upfront towards the cost of the pigs, any equipment and food, slaughter costs etc...  Then they all get an equal share - which they collect themselves from the butcher.   

I can just see them running a mile at that suggestion.

Thanks for all the comments - its been helpful

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 11:16:16 am »
I found giving to family and friends went fine as long as it was free and them were delighted with the pork. When I talked about selling no takers so I only keep it for ourselfs.

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 05:57:22 pm »
I just sell it by the kg and at a flat rate across all cuts it keeps it simple and so everyone understands. I also sell it by the quarter but I am thinking about selling individual cuts at a higher price per kg. That however would complicate things and mean i would need cold storage and as I gather you need a license for that.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 02:45:09 pm »
some people dont want to buy in bulk either a lamb can fill a few shelves in the freezer and i dare say a pig will almost fill it

choose your market some people dont want to lay out£100 for example in one go but where i live the people are quite well off and pay what i ask :-)

i also have a FB page and get the local kids and families involved around lambing time so they know the animals are well looked after which offers an ethical side when taken the lambs to the butcher.

but certainly dont under sell your sell, i would rather fill my own freezer than give it away for nothing :-)

follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS