Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Metal Shed for use as a Chicken House.  (Read 3842 times)

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
Metal Shed for use as a Chicken House.
« on: February 07, 2021, 05:17:13 pm »
What do you want to do ?CopyWhen we moved into the Bungalow where we now live twenty years ago I used a 6 X 8 shed that was already there for the accommodation of our three chickens at the end of the back garden overlooking a beautifully large field with Deer, rabbits and other wildlife running through it. As we wanted to keep the view I cut the top of the shed off and built a slopping roof with a three inch layer of roofing insulation included. As we knew there were Rats in the area I used two layers of close wire mesh under the whole structure building a nesting box lining it with 2 inch polyester insulation.
Since then a poor poverty stricken Farmer has sold the field to speculators and the view is now insulted by dozens of Pete Seegar little boxes, the slums of tomorrow.
 A few days ago while feeding my chickens I saw something move very rapidly across the floor of their run disappearing through a hole in the floor of their house which I assume was a rat and it is now my intention to demolish the Chicken house replacing it with a Metal shed. Does anyone have a view on such structures?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Metal Shed for use as a Chicken House.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 05:36:27 pm »
Metal sheds are very cold and prone to condensation, so be sure to line it.  Also be careful with sealing it along the bottom - if you are standing  it on a concrete base, there will be inevitable gaps where metal and concrete meet. The rats will still be there too, so will get in through the pop hole even during the day - try to get rid of them before the new shed goes up.  We have noticed with our brand new metal garden shed that where the roof panels are bolted, the rain comes in at a couple of points - we can stand a bucket under them, but not in a hen house. You will need free standing nest boxes.

To hide the now bad view, plant tall trees and dense shrubs like holly as far away from your viewpoint as you can, so you are not shaded but the new boxes will be hidden in a few years.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 05:45:22 pm »
Wood heavy duty plastic maybe suffice?  I know rats can chew plastic but the thicker stuff is less likely.

My chicken run is made of galvanised dog run panels bolted together, and sits on chicken wire, wrapped up teh sides a good bit.  They have a normal wooden rabbit hutch to live in - but I only have four wyandottes

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 07:10:09 pm »
What do you want to do ?Copy I wonder how thick the insulation should be and if it should be glued to the surface of the metal so as to avoid condensation. As to gaps where the shed stands on concreate I intend to screw the shed to the concrete. When we had rats before I tried everything from a shotgun to air rifles to traps and poison and none really worked and then about the only benefit of the new estate was that the rats disappeared but I think the regular downpour’s we’ve had has driven from where they were to hear.There is obviously no point in asking the Local Authority to help.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 07:34:04 pm »
How about something like that instead?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coop-for-12-laying-hens-in-Galvanized-Ducks-Quail-scorriuovo-/123022178551?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I really want to buy something like that - metal, open sides (so good ventilation), we don't get hard frosts in here except for several of days a year at most so its OK. Especially for the summer. Poo falls down, the whole structure can be hosed down, is off the ground so rat proof - including feeders, drinkers and nest boxes.
You can put it inside a run or even attach wheels so you can move it around for free ranging.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 11:03:02 pm »
With that house up here, we would have ready-frozen chicken, flattened against the sides by the wind - freeze-dried in fact. Italy is a different world!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 11:10:27 pm »
                                 I wonder how thick the insulation should be and if it should be glued to the surface of the metal so as to avoid condensation. As to gaps where the shed stands on concreate I intend to screw the shed to the concrete. When we had rats before I tried everything from a shotgun to air rifles to traps and poison and none really worked and then about the only benefit of the new estate was that the rats disappeared but I think the regular downpour’s we’ve had has driven from where they were to hear.There is obviously no point in asking the Local Authority to help.

Hens would peck at bare insulation, probably to their detriment.  We used poly something sheets, which fitted against the wall and roof panels, then screwed plywood sheets over the top.
Our shed is bolted down against the wind, but there are still small gaps which allow the rain to blow under the edge, so a line of caulk or whatever stops that.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 09:20:35 am »
We have metal roofs on some of the outbuildings here. They get baking hot in Summer (56C once) and freezing cold in Winter with bad condensation. One roof has been insulated against heat with a 25mm air gap for condensation which works in combination with apex vents. Problem is with a chicken house it could at any time become infested with red mite so all the insulation would need to come out. Yes, hens do peck at insulation as we've had that happen to a polytunnel frame.

All our coops are wooden and on 18" stilts, so no rats digging under them or through them. Access to the pop-holes are via steps. We have rats, but none near the coops.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 09:42:50 am »
Wooden houses on legs here too and no ramps either. Chickens jump/flutter up into the houses.

Metal housing would be far too cold in winter and hot in summer and if lined with insulation there will be a red mite issue at some point.

naturelovingfarmer

• Joined May 2021
  • Ohio River Valley
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 02:43:22 pm »
I'm not really sure why rats would be a problem unless they're huge over there... but this is the chicken house I built to deal with raccoons. If I was to do it again the door would be solid wood instead of plywood. The roof is a polycarbonate panel. It doesn't get hot. In the winter we tacked feed bags to the sides and piled straw up on the floor but left the top vent open. The chickens just loved playing in the snow so I don't think they were bothered by the cold. It got down to -13 F. They didn't seem to care at all. The deep dry bedding actually kept it pretty warm inside when I leaned in to get the eggs it was actually pretty nice in there.
Turn your problem into a solution. Learn new things. Adapt as you go. Plans should be fluid and subject to change. I start planning for things years in advance and by the time I do them they have usually changed radically.

"Fall down 7 times, stand up 8" ~Bodhidharma

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 08:18:22 am »
I was thinking of buy some recycled plastic sheeting ... like the stokboard stuff sold by Solway recycling (who do make coops) and building a shed from that... bit pricy but lasts forever and low mite risk... hard for rats to get through too

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS