Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dorset Horn wethers  (Read 1313 times)

Zoe76

• Joined Oct 2020
Dorset Horn wethers
« on: February 04, 2021, 06:55:32 pm »
Hi,

Please go easy on me! I'm thinking about buying some Dorset Horn/Poll wethers to fatten, slaughter and the sell the meat. The people I'm buying from want £50-£70 per lamb according to size. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

:)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Dorset Horn wethers
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 07:20:09 pm »
How old are they when you buy them?  Are you fattening them over spring / summer or will you have to buy hay as well?  Will they be grass fed or shall you cake them?  Do you have the grass or are you paying for grazing?   You might need to give them some minerals and worm them, maybe vaccinate them.

Kill and Butchery will likely cost around £25 - £30/head depending on size, plus extra for making sausages, burgers etc.

They should be a decent size, expect something like 20kgs - 22kgs meat per animal maybe?  (Before boning and trimming.)   

Would you sell as boxed half lamb?  What price do you think you would get?

If you don't have sufficient local market who will pick up from the butcher or from yourself then you might need to add costs for packaging for mail order.  Getting set up to do mail order meat is expensive, largely because of the carriage to get the materials to you.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Zoe76

• Joined Oct 2020
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 08:51:18 pm »
Thanks for all the points to consider.

They're born between mid-Sept to early Nov. Planning on fattening some/if not all over spring/summer, might save a few to go next year as hogget.

Grass-fed and I have access to three 2 acre fields to grazing (no charge).

Will sell as boxed half lamb with prices for other cuts roughly the same as this:

Leg joints   From £14.85/kg
Leg and rump steaks   £22.50/kg
Loin chops   £22.50/kg
Rack of lamb/cutlets (French-trimmed)   £22.50/kg
Shoulder joints   From £10.20/kg
Diced/neck fillet   £15/kg
Mince   £11.85/kg
Liver   £7.95/kg
Lamb & mint sausages/Morroccan Lamb sausages   £12.90/kg
4oz lamb & mint burgers   £1.50 each

I also have a couple of Ryeland wethers I'm sending to slaughter as hogget in the Autumn.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 09:11:28 pm »
Well then, on the face of it you should be able to return a decent profit on the operation.  Probably worth vaccinating (if the supplier hasn't) as the loss of one lamb (and cost of disposal) would make quite a dent in the income and profit.  Keeping them wormed and giving them minerals will also help to ensure that all are fit and ready to go off end of summer. 

Personally I wouldn't plan on keeping any over winter unless you have to - they will just eat hay, might need housing and bedding, won't grow much if at all over winter so then will need either cake or will eat some of the following year's spring grass to finish, and won't be significantly bigger or fetch much more than they would have in autumn.

And your ground won't have had a rest and be in best condition for the next batch ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 09:15:42 pm »
Dorsets can run to fat very easily, and nobody likes fatty lamb. We have a few Dorset x lambs each year and any heavier than 44kg and they go too fat. Through the summer we draw any that are feeling fit and over 36kg. So be aware of that.

Your prices for individual cuts of lamb seem expensive. Chops at £22.50 a kilo seems a lot of money. But if you can get that then that’s great  :yum:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 09:19:39 pm by twizzel »

Zoe76

• Joined Oct 2020
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 09:49:30 pm »
Dorsets can run to fat very easily, and nobody likes fatty lamb. We have a few Dorset x lambs each year and any heavier than 44kg and they go too fat. Through the summer we draw any that are feeling fit and over 36kg. So be aware of that.

Your prices for individual cuts of lamb seem expensive. Chops at £22.50 a kilo seems a lot of money. But if you can get that then that’s great  :yum:

Thanks for the feedback. What does it mean to draw a lamb? Excuse my ignorance!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 10:33:24 pm »
To pick them out for slaughter. We weigh them fortnightly and then anything over 37kg gets felt on its back for fat cover. If it’s fit, it goes.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 10:44:47 am »
My question is if born oct time why would they not sell them fat as the first easter lamb for maybe £ 130 - £150 this year  .  Space ?? inclination ??   In the store ring they would make more than £50-70 this year.   As  said they are not the ideal breed for keeping as older lambs ,as they put condition on very easily

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 11:29:11 am »
My question is if born oct time why would they not sell them fat as the first easter lamb for maybe £ 130 - £150 this year  .  Space ?? inclination ??   In the store ring they would make more than £50-70 this year.   As  said they are not the ideal breed for keeping as older lambs ,as they put condition on very easily

I was thinking exactly the same .....  lambs born before xmas should be fit to go by April (or they are very poor in which case dont touch them)

Definitely dont keep for hogget  .... 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 09:03:05 pm »
[/quote
completely agree.  they're worth more than that store, unless they are real wee runts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS