Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Castrating Pygmy goats  (Read 2551 times)

Susierw

• Joined Nov 2018
Castrating Pygmy goats
« on: January 29, 2021, 07:23:12 pm »
Hi,  I have acquired over the last year 8 young female pygmy goats, one young billy and a wether as his companion.  I am planning to put the girls to the billy in May for September kids. 

My questions is regarding castration of the male kids.  I would want to castrate all of them as they are not registerable and are better for pets if they are not entire.  I have a flock of Jacobs so used to banding the male lambs.  I would like to do the same with the male kids but am unsure at what age to do them.  There seems to be a lot of advice (mainly from the USA) that if you do them too early you end up with urinary problems and they need to mature before you band them.  Also i presume they are so small that it might be difficult to find the testicles.  On the other hand i thought in the UK banding needs to be done before a week old. 

Advice would be welcome please. 
Thanks

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
Re: Castrating Pygmy goats
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 08:05:43 pm »
Its against the law to rubber band castrate in the UK after a week old I'm sure.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 08:25:10 pm »
Given the size of pygmies I personally would get them done by the vets surgically when they are a bit older. Are you also disbudding them or keep horned?

Susierw

• Joined Nov 2018
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 09:46:02 pm »
I will keep them horned.  I will have to speak to my vet in due course as they do not seem very au fait with goats.  I would have no idea how much that is likely to cost and at what age one can do it.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 01:46:12 pm »
Surgically they can do them at any age, but you have a lot longer to do it before they get smelly, however they will give them a general anaesthetic, usually gas and air works well for smaller goats (is what my vets use for disbudding). If your vet is not that happy doing it, I would ask around for another. The danger of "catching" the urethra is real in small goat kids. My vet rings male kids during disbudding when they are under.

Susierw

• Joined Nov 2018
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 05:19:31 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I will speak to my vets. If you vet rings the kids when disbudding at what age are you doing that.  Is it ok to band them at more than a week old if they are anaesthetised?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 06:20:19 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I will speak to my vets. If you vet rings the kids when disbudding at what age are you doing that.  Is it ok to band them at more than a week old if they are anaesthetised?

Sorry should have said I have got dairy goats, not pygmies. As far as I know it is illegal to band after 7 days, so vet will not be able to do it after that either, even with anaesthetic. Mine are disbudded at 4 days old.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS