Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weak egg shells  (Read 3894 times)

valantinas

• Joined Sep 2009
Weak egg shells
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:02:56 am »
Hi
I've tried to find the answer on previous posts but unable to.
My hens are laying egg which have weak shells.  Leaving grit for them but they dont eat it.  The food they have says no grit is needed as its all in.  Is there another suppliment I can give that willmake shells better?

Thanks

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Weak egg shells
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:23:38 am »
Ordinary grit helps with their crop action, oyster shell helps with shell quality.  Having said that, there are apparently other causes of shell weakness such as infection.  I am still learning here, bit I'm sure someone else can clarify.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:25:36 am »
you could also try adding limestone flour to their food

valantinas

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:27:38 pm »
Just spoken to our food supplier to see if they sell any calcium suppliments.  He advised that egg shells do go softer at this time of the year as it near the end of laying season

spikey_fridge

• Joined Mar 2010
  • stroud gloucestershire
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 04:35:49 pm »
i've started crushing up egg shells into their mash. they eat it all and then some. not had this problem yet

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:47:28 am »
weak shells, not caused by lack of grit, may be due to infectious bronchitis. You may notice respiratory problems or loose droppings but not always. The disease affects the oviduct, making the shells mishapen with fault marks on, and although birds will recover the shell will always be more fragile and imperfect than before. A simple treatment is aspirin (bird sized of course). Yes - I know you'll be thinking - how can a pain killer help? But it does.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 10:55:39 am »
 landroverroy : How do you give them the asprin? We've a couple of hens that are laying thin/weak egg shells a

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 09:58:03 am »
Either use soluble aspirin in water - say about 1/2 tablet in 4 pints water and shake well. Just put out enough for them to drink each day. Or grind up an insoluble tablet and put it in enough food for about 10 hens. Not sure how long you're meant to feed it for. I would give it for a week. I prefer to give it in water because a bird will always drink, even if it's not feeling well and not eating.
   Good luck.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 10:41:18 am »
have they moulted yet. as other say give calcium flour. if caused by a bug and it does not improve then cull clean and start again. the obvious have you wormed them and giving a vit sup may help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS