Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Set up for broilers ?  (Read 3067 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Set up for broilers ?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 09:51:40 am »
Thank you Richmond. I'm in central scotland so I will check it out. I'd imagine there must be somewhere.
Jamie
Craigievern Poultry will supply small numbers; they have a number of drop off / collection points including Stirling and Perth. I get 15 Hubbards from Jane every Spring - one a month to eat plus a few spares just in case.
Like those above, I keep them under heat for three weeks or so depending on the weather, then they go into a moveable cage in the field. I'll see if I can find some photos and measure it. There's probably something in the Diary above. Cage is probably 12ft x 12ft maybe a bit more. I move it every day, sometimes twice a day as they get bigger. You should see the grass grow where the cage has been !!!
We kill the cocks one weekend and the hens the following weekend - usually about 12 weeks old. Cleaned weight 3.5kg - 5.5kg!!! They freezer really well and are delicious.

finglas

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 04:59:00 pm »
Thank you Rosemary.

I am familiar with craigevern farm actually, me and my dad visited their prior to buying our current laying hens.
Sounds great though, thanks for letting me know.

Another thing I was wondering is feeders, in an ideal world I would be there every morning to feed each day. Which would be possible but for our laying hens we use one of the treadle feeders.....could something like that be used for meat birds? I'm just thinking about the logistics of feeding the birds. All other bases seem reasonably well covered by me tending to them in the afternoons (after my work) but if feed needs to go out every morning to minimise rats then I would need to visit them every morning before work which might be a bit challenging.

I can definitely see how a treadle feeder for young birds might be a problem but would be interested to hear opinions there.

Thank you again,

Jamie

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 07:52:13 pm »
They freeze really well and are delicious.
I can vouch for the taste of Rosie's birds - only had two but they beat everything else hands down, and I can't wait for lockdown to end so I can get more
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 09:35:45 am »
Thank you Rosemary.

I am familiar with craigevern farm actually, me and my dad visited their prior to buying our current laying hens.
Sounds great though, thanks for letting me know.

Another thing I was wondering is feeders, in an ideal world I would be there every morning to feed each day. Which would be possible but for our laying hens we use one of the treadle feeders.....could something like that be used for meat birds? I'm just thinking about the logistics of feeding the birds. All other bases seem reasonably well covered by me tending to them in the afternoons (after my work) but if feed needs to go out every morning to minimise rats then I would need to visit them every morning before work which might be a bit challenging.

I can definitely see how a treadle feeder for young birds might be a problem but would be interested to hear opinions there.

Thank you again,

Jamie

Table birds have much greater appetites than layers. They also drink a lot. My personal view is that they should be checked, fed and watered at least twice a day, more often while still quite small. A visit once a day is really not enough for chicks and youngsters. They can be clumsy and knock their water over if it's not in a stout heavy container, which would be disastrous in hot weather. If realistically you are only intending to visit them once a day you might need to reconsider this venture.

finglas

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 03:06:46 pm »
Thanks Richmond. I did think once a day would have been sufficient but I can see why twice a day is necessary. It is certainly doable. I shall see what happens.

I appreciate you being candid with your response.

Jamie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS