Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scouring ewe lamb  (Read 1372 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Scouring ewe lamb
« on: December 29, 2020, 10:15:48 pm »
I’ve got a ewe lamb that’s been scouring for a few days. Her sister got it a couple days before her and has dried up. I’ve noticed a couple of others starting to look a bit mucky too. Only seems like the one breed of ewe lambs, not the other breed or the ewes. They were wormed end of Sept. I know advice here would be to get a FEC but she’s away on tack at the moment plus the vet won’t get me a result for a week with New Years etc. Should I dose the affected ewe lambs with a wormer? It’s been mega wet recently and as they are away I don’t know if she’s maybe eaten something that’s disagreed with her.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Scouring ewe lamb
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 10:37:04 pm »
Might be fluke? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 08:11:19 am »
Most vets have in house FEC testing, waiting a week for results is no good for anyone if you’ve got cocci on your hands that needs treating ASAP. So I’d still get a fec, but if you can’t, don’t reuse the same wormer in case the sheep are resistant to it.

Or as sally says could be fluke, cocci or just wet grass going through them. But you won’t know without a fec.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 09:49:02 am »
She was fluked with Fasinex end of Oct and she’s not near any watercourses at the moment so would hope not fluke? She seems well otherwise.
Funnily enough this time last year I called the vet about some suspect poop and he said “you do know it’s New Year’s Eve, don’t you?”!! As if all problems should stop or something...

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 10:52:42 am »
The sooner you do a FEC the sooner the results will be back. You have already said it's been going on a few days and more are getting mucky bums.

Your vet could also know if there is a current fluke problem. Never assume that because you have given the treatment it's worked. You don't need a watercourse just wet areas.

Hope you get it sorted.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 12:13:48 pm »
1.  Fasinex does not kill eggs or 1-day old hatchlings.  So needs repeated 6 weeks later to kill anything that emerged since first treatment.
2.  Fluke does not need a watercourse.  It needs wet ground, which rain will deliver. 
3.  (2) is a mahoosive over-simplification, fluke has a complex lifecycle (as does the snail)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 12:36:51 pm »
Get a FEC done ,if you don't know which internal parasite is there how do you know which treatment to use eg Barbers pole worm is  a winter worm and needs the correct product to kill . Since you say it has been really wet then my guess would be that this is the cause , wet grass in wet poo out and why the first lamb has dried up naturally , without a FEC  all just guess work

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS