Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: slow cookers  (Read 6470 times)

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
slow cookers
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:47:23 pm »
Any one got any realy good recipes?
something maybe a bit different? ???
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: slow cookers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 07:06:06 pm »
look up crockpot dishes for recipes too

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:13:19 pm »
Hi dandanns, I expect you already know but i was going to mention red kidney beans raw cannot be used in slow cookers, must be pre cooked or tinned variety,toxin in beans that will give you food poisoning if not cooked properly, nausea vomiting and severe diarrhea can follow. ps enjoy your tea!........neil

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:04:21 am »
Hiya,

Not got anything groundbreaking yet - but will talk to my mum, she loves hers & uses it a lot.
But my favourite thing to come out of a slow cooker is beef ! You can buy cheap, chewy cuts and bung them in with some onion, water and a wee splash of balsalmic vinegar and it comes out the most tender and well flavoured meat I've ever tasted! I splashed out and did a silverside joint at new year and OMG it was THE BEST  ;D
I have found though that pork always seems to go greasy and gunky but maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

Karen x

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 04:18:42 pm »
We use ours for complete meals ready at the end of the day, anything with chicken and veg or steak but have found that soup does not do so well. never tried pork in it.  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 06:19:01 pm »
I found the following website http://www.slowcookerrecipes.org.uk/
My mum's going to look out a slow cooker receipe book she has, if there's anything interesting I'll let you know.
On the soup though, my mum has always made her lentil soup in the slow cooker - grated carrots, red lentils, leeks and a big lump of ham shank/ similar - leave overnight and presto - it does need watered down though cause it's definately 'stick to the ribs' stuff!
Karen x

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 10:43:52 pm »
beef does a treat in it ;D

tried sponge cakes too :o  worked very well.........suprisingly ;D

pasta is another one i've done, that worked fairly well too ;D

Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 11:25:12 pm »
Mine has just been switched on - cheap beef cut into bite sized chunks, a large onion chopped to bite size,a bag of economy sliced carrots plus a bag of baby potatoes.  On low heat overnight, will check and switch off tomorrow before going on our last shoot day for the season and switch back on when I come home - add some bisto to thicken then it's ready for my pals arriving at 8pm.  Scrumptious.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 02:50:28 pm »
Hi, try some recipes from the Aga cookbooks (go to agalinks online) as anything that does in the simmering oven would be good in a slow cooker. I love the beef in horseradish recipe. If you can't find it, I'll copy it out.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 02:54:24 pm »
try this blog: http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/

they use a slow cooker alot and have some fantastic recipies!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS