Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buy a pig course present for Christmas !  (Read 1673 times)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Buy a pig course present for Christmas !
« on: December 12, 2010, 02:30:36 pm »
What about a Christmas gift, for someone who keeps talking about getting pigs, or just treat yourself. Personalised Gift certificates available – choose from the dates below, or select an undated gift option for the receipient to book their own chosen date.

Dates for 2011
20th March
10th April
8th May
5th June
10th July, 14th August, 11th September

Whether you are thinking of having a couple of weaners to fatten for your freezer, or are starting to keep pigs for breeding, or just for the joy of keeping pigs, we will explain both the upsides and things to avoid to help you understand and enjoy your pigs.         

This course is for you if you are considering keeping pigs or are new to pigs. The course will show you how to set up or expand, what is needed and the costs involved. If you are not sure whether pig keeping is possible for you, this course will help you decide.         

This will be an informative and fun day with plenty of hands on experience with the pigs, and with 50 outdoor sows from 12 traditional breeds and at least 3 litters a month there is always lots to see. It also means that whatever course date you choose, we will always have a selection of pigs at the size they will be when you buy your first stock and examples of how big they will get to when they are ready to leave. We will also have sows in all stages of the pregnancy cycle and piglets of various ages. So it will be a truly comprehensive course. Numbers on each course are limited to a maximum of 8, so you will have plenty of time to ask questions and see all that is involved.         

The course covers :-         

•How much space do I need, what about housing, what sort of fencing?
•What equipment do I need?
•What can I feed, how much, what will it cost ?
•Where do I buy stock from, what to buy, how much should I pay ?
•What are the regulations I need to follow?
•How easy is it to breed and what’s involved ?
•How do I keep them fit and healthy ?
•How do I find an abattoir and a butcher ?
•What meat do I get, how much, what can I do with it?

The day will be a mixture of outdoor and indoor sessions. You will meet the main herd of friendly sows in their outdoor enclosures and spend time in the farrowing yard where there will be piglets of various ages, and sows due to give birth. Indoors, in our fully equipped meeting room, we will get a chance to discuss what you have seen and cover this in more detail.         

Course fee £100 (£190 for 2 places sharing a manual), includes refreshments, buffet lunch and 135 page manual to take away.         

To book a course simply visit our website www.oaklandspigs.co.uk, where you can book on-line or downlaod a booking form and send a cheque.

If your need more information, please contact us oaklandspigs@btinternet.com or phone 01892 852663     
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Buy a pig course present for Christmas !
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 08:53:20 am »

20th March - 1 place left.

New date Saturday 19th March

Great Christmas present - Colourful Christmas vouchers available - can even email them for you to print to beat the post deadline or make sure snow does not hold them up - just ask when booking !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS