Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead hens  (Read 1650 times)

DalesFarmer

• Joined Sep 2020
  • North Yorkshire
Dead hens
« on: December 19, 2020, 08:54:15 am »
Hi there, Just wondered if anyone else had purchased a hen coop from Smith’s Sectional Buildings? We had the Haywood 50 bird - only 24 birds in it for space for them but we’ve now lost two of them having got their heads stuck downwards through the perch at night. It’s so upsetting - one Barnvelder and one Orpington. We’re really concerned and wondering if the flat perch idea is not so good. Does anyone else have experience of this please? Should we be changing our flat perch to one which is more like a step ladder effect? My husband thinks it’s a design flaw as he’s kept lots of hens previously and never had this happen.
Thanks so much
Giannina

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Dead hens
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 09:17:57 am »
Don't know the building but if you have had deaths and you think there is a design flaw change it before you have another.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 09:26:46 am »
I've looked on the site and have seen a slatted arrangement with a droppings board underneath. I can't see how a chicken would get their head stuck- perhaps they died before and their head fell through? It's not a good design. The bars are too narrow and will get covered in poo. I can imagine feet getting stuck between them. Perhaps change to two or three 3" or 4" wide perches. Add an intermediate step as they look too high anyway, certainly for Orpingtons. How do they get to the top row of nest boxes?

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 09:33:00 am »
As you are at 50% capacity, you could remove every other slat to prevent this happening again while you wait for the company to respond.

DalesFarmer

• Joined Sep 2020
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 10:27:14 am »
Thanks for replies. We’re about to remove the flat perch now and do something temporary but safe until my husband can build a new (better) perch. It’s so upsetting as they were just lovely hens. Appreciate the advice and if anyone else has bought one of these coops at vast expense I might add, I’d suggest thinking very carefully about your needs prior to purchase.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 01:34:55 pm »
It doesn’t make any sense that your chickens would die from getting their heads stuck between the perches, why would they stick their heads between the slats in the first place? We use flat perches with dropping trays underneath, have done so for many years just like thousands of other poultry keepers. I can’t imagine the flat perches are the cause of those hens’ deaths, there’s just no reason for a bird to stick its head all the way below its perch when going to sleep, if anything would get stuck it’d be a leg.
It’s probably just coincidence that they died and their bodies dropped in such a way that their heads ended up between perches.

Always sad to lose birds, especially the sociable ones.  :-\

DalesFarmer

• Joined Sep 2020
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 01:52:50 pm »
Yes I know what you mean, it is hard to tell exactly but we’ve lost two birds in what appears to be the same way. We have a mix of sized hens - no bantams but our Croad Langshan hens are large, sweet, a bit clumsy and I’ve seen them tread on the others so she may have been sat on too. Either way, my husband is constructing a different perch system as we speak which we believe will be much safer for all of them. At least if one sits on another they’ll just drop off and not kill each other. Who knows... Hens can surprise us all the time can’t they?

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 09:16:45 am »
there’s just no reason for a bird to stick its head all the way below its perch when going to sleep
Having had a few temporarily sleeping on a perch in a dog crate in the (glass) porch because of injury or illness, I have seen two different birds sleeping with their heads dropped below the perch, so it can and does happen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS