Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Putting weight on pigs  (Read 1405 times)

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
Putting weight on pigs
« on: December 18, 2020, 06:03:19 pm »
I'm running a couple of 5 month old weaners just now.
I can feel there back bone quite easily.
Is there anything I can give them other than just pig feed to help bulk up a little?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Putting weight on pigs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 06:58:23 pm »
What breed are they? What and how much are you feeding? When were they wormed? Is the water supply adequate and are they warm enough? What's the coverage either side of the backbone and over the hams?

If a pig is warm, getting plenty of feed and still lean then I would suspect worms. Generally it's easier to get pigs too fat.

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 07:13:23 pm »
They're landrace x gos
Actually just wormed them about week ago with noromectin.
They're kept outside in large pen (although it's mostly mud now  ;D) and have a large ibc bed/shelter hut.
They're fed the 5lb each per day plus any windblown apples.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 09:57:21 pm »
That's a complimentary cross. Landrace are a fast growing, lean pig compared to the slower growing but potentially fattier gos. If they have taken more to the landrace they might well finish a leaner carcase. If they are lean then they are going to use more food keeping warm.

When were you planning to take them in (taking into account the withdrawal on the wormer).

Are you on sow and weaner or a finisher? They might do better on a finisher and need more.

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 09:31:50 am »
To be honest we're in no rush to take them, maybe February? They don't seem big to me either.
 Unless they were sold to me younger than what was stated

They're on mix of sow gilt and finisher.
Ideally I want bacon and pork out of them so guessing I'd need to get them to around 100kg roughly anyway?

Thankyou so much for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS