Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Avian flu ground area spray?  (Read 1991 times)

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
Avian flu ground area spray?
« on: December 15, 2020, 07:05:24 pm »
What do you want to do ?CopyI found a government body on the Internet and asked them if there is a chemical spray one can use to treat the area one's chickens run around on for when it’s safe to let them out. Needless to say I've received no answer so I thought I should ask here. Can anyone suggest such a spray?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Avian flu ground area spray?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 07:23:50 pm »
As in a disinfectant ? Fam30 is effective but not sure about spraying the whole ground area- you’d have to ask a vet if that is ok.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 12:09:37 am »
for when it’s safe to let them out.

As in, in 3-4 months time?  ???

Bird flu is a virus, so surely can't survive for long in the environment. Basically if you can get through until restrictions are lifted, I don't think you've got anything to worry about.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 06:30:39 am »
I've had to restrict my ducks and chicken to their fully netted runs for the moment. The base is clean stone and is about 8-10" thick. So far we've just hosed the waste and its drained through the stone as it was designed to do. I'm wondering if I need to disinfect the ground etc. When they are put back in their house at night so there's time for it to dry before morning? Any thoughts, or should I just keep rinsing through?

Thanks

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 10:33:03 am »
if you kill the life in the ground, what is going to eat the bird waste falling on it? Defra approved disinfectants are needed on your ground if you have an outbreak, not as a preventative measure. Save it for your boot and tyre wash.

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 11:51:43 am »
What do you want to do ?CopyThanks for all the answers especially the one about killing the ground. I will now wait for an all clear from the authorities before letting them out but they have good size indoor run with a clear polathene roof so they are safe for the moment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS