Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I ready ?  (Read 26147 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Re: Am I ready ?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 08:12:51 pm »
Lambing ewes that have been there and done it all before is one of the best ways to get into lambing. I used to know an old farmer who only ever bought 3 crop ewes because he said that his days of staying up all night lambing were over. He used to have very few problems.

If you still have my contact number you can ring me up if you want any advice in the evening when vets are closed, or any other time. I still have your number so will text you if you've lost my details. :sunshine:
Wow thank you thats very kind I do stil have your number thank you

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 09:17:53 pm »
So the lad am getting the sheep off is now not giving up his flock  ??? How ever he said he will still honour his offer of buying some ewes, because of the wet weather he has not managed to get the ewes scanned so can't be sure who's carrying what,  but he did say he will lamb them and let me have them lambs at foot wich takes the pressure off me loads ! My daughter is a bit disappointed but I feel some what relieved ha

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 07:33:13 am »
make sure he honours the price too!    and ensure all lambs he sells you have had colostrum at birth.   and dont accept just the four he offers you ask to select from a group of at least 8 ..... or you will be dumped with his worst 4 ..... which are probably the wildest  (they would certainly be the first ones I would dispose of)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 09:27:21 am »
I’m not sure why he couldn’t get them scanned... the weather doesn’t really affect scanning? I would expect to pay more though, he has done all the hard work of lambing. A good mule ewe with twins at foot is worth far more than the £120 he quoted for in lamb ewes.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2021, 09:43:25 am »
He says field was 2 wet to get the scan mans truck in ?
     How much is a mule worth with lambs? Just a ball park figure? Thanks

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2021, 10:33:15 am »
Anywhere from £50 to £90 per life depending on how all are doing condition wise

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2021, 08:23:38 am »
So any time now we are getting our ewes with lambs,  and we are going to have a go with any pet lambs he has , off to BATA today for milk some bottles and teats , lad is lending me a bucket with teats on to , is they anything else I will need ,,, iv got a heat lamp

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2021, 12:40:56 pm »
Exciting!   :yippee: :yippee:

You won't need a heat lamp.  Healthy lambs under cover do not need heat, and too much heat is dangerous.  I would only ever use a heat lamp (or the Rayburn :)) on a newborn or very nearly newborn that's foundered outside and is actually hypothermic, too cold to feed.  Assuming you are getting lambs who are already on the bottle and have had colostrum, this won't be the case (and you shouldn't need a stomach tube either for the same reason, although it's an essential if you are lambing yourself, as would be Kick Start or Co-Late or similar, and glucose powder.)

The supplier will have ringed the boys' testicles, and the tails if you are wanting them tailed? 

You will need straw for bedding, nice soft hay to teach them to eat forage, sterilising fluid (Miltons or Capriclense or similar), lamb feed (you can get lamb creep pellets but I have always found they take to a simple mix better, eg., Champion Tup & Lamb) and something to feed it in, and a bowl for water.  (I use a ceramic dog water bowl when they're tiny, moving up to a bucket when they are bigger.) 

Personally I would have Rehydion or PFS (Pfizer Scour Formula) to hand just in case one of them gets squitty.  (A lot of people say that including a dollop of fresh, clean probiotic yoghurt in each batch of milk will help them to not get squitty.)

Some lime or similar is a good idea to clean a pen if someone has has the squits, but you can get that if you need it.

Enjoy!  And feel free to shower us with piccies and stories... :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2021, 12:51:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply,  I was wondering about feed creep or mix but read different things on it , I will grab a bag of mix , yes he said he will ring the tails and testicles , iv also asked for a ram lamb not related to our ewes not to be rung than her can be used be been sent on his way or possibly keep him depending on our situation down the line , so best to to use the lamp then they will be In a 8x4 pen in my shed for the first 2 weeks then down to the stable, 

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2021, 01:02:31 pm »
 :thumbsup: Remember all the sheep including lambs need at least one ear tag  ( ewes two )before they leave his place and a good worm dose  (ZOLVIX ) for the ewes before leaving as well

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2021, 01:07:03 pm »
I was going to say make sure the ewes are double tagged and the lambs have a slaughter tag as minimum. Get a movement book to record on/off movements and ensure the paper forms are all completed and sent off. Zolvix and 48hrs inside for ewes before they touch your fields.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2021, 01:33:36 pm »
So best to to use the lamp then they will be In a 8x4 pen in my shed for the first 2 weeks then down to the stable,

No, no lamp.  Lambs are covered in wool, so as long as they are healthy and eating well, and have a nice straw bed, shelter from rain and drafts, they absolutely do not need any additional heat at all. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2021, 01:41:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply,  I was wondering about feed creep or mix but read different things on it , I will grab a bag of mix , yes he said he will ring the tails and testicles , iv also asked for a ram lamb not related to our ewes not to be rung than her can be used be been sent on his way or possibly keep him depending on our situation down the line , so best to to use the lamp then they will be In a 8x4 pen in my shed for the first 2 weeks then down to the stable,

Absolutely do not keep a hand reared lamb as a breeding ram- pet lambs have no fear of people and can be very very dangerous as entire rams. You want a ram that does not want to be near you, that moves away from you when you get too close to him, not a pet that always wants to be in your pocket and will one day knock you over or worse.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2021, 01:58:04 pm »
So best to to use the lamp then they will be In a 8x4 pen in my shed for the first 2 weeks then down to the stable,

No, no lamp.  Lambs are covered in wool, so as long as they are healthy and eating well, and have a nice straw bed, shelter from rain and drafts, they absolutely do not need any additional heat at all.
Was a mistake was ment to say best not !

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2021, 02:50:50 pm »

Absolutely do not keep a hand reared lamb as a breeding ram- pet lambs have no fear of people and can be very very dangerous as entire rams. You want a ram that does not want to be near you, that moves away from you when you get too close to him, not a pet that always wants to be in your pocket and will one day knock you over or worse.

Well spotted. twiz.  Yes, seriously bad plan to use a bottle lamb as a ram.

Are you going to be breeding to produce more breeding ewes, or just for lambs for the freezer?  If the latter, it would be fine to keep one of the ram lambs from the ewes to father the next lot - if it's not too late, that is.  They may all be ringed already.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS