Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Your thoughts please! :)  (Read 1617 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Your thoughts please! :)
« on: December 11, 2020, 04:00:24 pm »
Right folks what do you think! I wasn't originally going to lamb next year due to work but who can resist and decided I'd give the tup 1 week, my 6 best ewes and whatever we get, we get. He tupped 4 out of the 6 at the start of Nov (bit of a shame that one favourite went untupped). Due to work, weekdays etc it was been dark when checking them but today I had chance to have a daylight check. Photo 1 is the ewe at the end of Aug with one of her daughters and granddaughter from this year, photo 2 and 3 are the 'untupped' ewe today .... Just checked and the tup lambs were taken out either the first weekend in Aug (1st or 2nd). Will be moving ewes tomorrow and having a closer look ????
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 08:54:02 pm by crobertson »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Your thoughts please! :)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 04:31:49 pm »
If in lamb and due start of jan she should be showing maybe udder maybe pink swollen vulva  and if you press firmly you may feel lamb / lambs  and if she is then others may be ? at least you have a cut off date

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 08:29:23 am »
mmmmhhhh.... is that a bulge on her right hand side? As said above, you should be seeing udder development soon. Are you feeding something on top of hay right now?

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 09:03:33 am »
Her teats are prominent but she had triplets earlier this year and is a milky ewe so they never really shrunk back to noticeable.

They are on just grass at the min, no hay or feed. All are in good condition and have a crystalyx standard and Himalayan rock salt. 

Hoping to have a hands on feel / condition score her today.

Wee Noddy

• Joined Jul 2020
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 10:50:42 am »
In my limited knowledge, and humble opinion,  that will be Christmas/New Year lambs.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 08:53:30 pm »
I'm starting to think that too :/ she never comes near you unless heavily in lamb and wants feed, today she came right up to me! I think I better restock a few of the lambing kit essentials just in case. Although she conditioned scored a good 3 yesterday so luckily if there is something it isn't too draining on her for now.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 08:55:33 pm by crobertson »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 09:08:05 pm »
I'm starting to think that too :/ she never comes near you unless heavily in lamb and wants feed, today she came right up to me! I think I better restock a few of the lambing kit essentials just in case. Although she conditioned scored a good 3 yesterday so luckily if there is something it isn't too draining on her for now.

At least you know the latest she could be lambing... and yes I would have a pen ready just in case. At this time of year it may be best to keep ewes and very yopung lambs indoors for a bit longer, as the ewes will have to be on concentrates and hay anyway, I doubt they would produce enough milk on grass alone at this time of year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS