Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My lambs mouth is wounded  (Read 1051 times)

xessa123

• Joined Dec 2020
My lambs mouth is wounded
« on: December 10, 2020, 02:56:42 pm »
Hello i am from turkey so please accept my grammar mistakes
? had twins last week first one was normal but last one had trouble when birthing and her mom didnt accept her as her lamb so we was feeding her when her mom was eating food today i looked and my lambs mouth was bleeding a bit and wounded probably her mom hit her while lamb was trying to drink milk what treatmen i should use for wounded mouth i have blue spray but insides of lambs was wounded so i couldnt decide if you know anything that can help please respond and if you have any advice on how to make her mom accept her lamb i would be really glad have a nice day

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: My lambs mouth is wounded
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 04:10:23 pm »
Your lamb really needs a vet to look at it’s mouth. If the ewe lambed last week I doubt she will take the lamb now especially if she has kicked it and hurt it.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 04:20:24 pm »
Only you know how serious the injury is, xessa. Mouths tend to heal quickly though.

If Mum won't take the lamb any more, I would bottle feed it but put the teat at the other side of its mouth, where it isn't sore.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 04:45:26 pm »
Hello Xsessa and welcome.
Have a good look inside the lamb's mouth.  If it is split then it could need to be stitched by the vet (veterinarian), but if it is more grazed or only a minor injury then it will heal on its own. Use the blue spray on the outside, being careful not to get it into the lamb's eyes.
You will need to bottle feed the lamb and keep it from its mother or she will kick it again. Could you put it in a pen separated from the mother by just one divider, so they could see each other, and she could see her twin, but the mother couldn't kick her?  Feed the lamb inside the separate pen.
There are ways to get a ewe to accept a rejected lamb but they are unlikely to succeed after a full week of rejection.  Just resign yourself to raising the lamb on a bottle, but near its family for company and warmth.

Please let us know how things progress.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS