Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Biotin ?  (Read 1237 times)

Mel

• Joined Jan 2019
Biotin ?
« on: December 04, 2020, 08:21:55 pm »
Hi looking for some advice on biotin for sheep ,
Vet has requested  I use sheep nuts with biotin in ,but they have to be ram friendly as well?
Is there a better way of providing biotin and what amounts we talking
4 sheep 2 need biotin other two won’t hurt but not necessary
They have add lib mineral licks and rock salt all year round already
Any advice appreciated
Ta

Mel

• Joined Jan 2019
Re: Biotin ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 10:27:29 pm »
Don't know about sheep so you may need to check ingredients and with vet, but for horses, I used to use a product called BioMethZ - I think it's been renamed now but can't think what the new name is and Google isn't helping me.  It was a combination of biotin, methionine and zinc which were the 3 ingredients required for proper hoof growth.  Another alternative may be Cornucrescine hoof supplement.  However, you may need to be careful depending on where you are and what sheep you have as it does contain copper so check with vet before feeding it!    http://www.carrdaymartin.co.uk/product/hoof-supplement/
Yes ta
loads of it about for horses , but too risky with any copper in it and your right google not my friend for biotin for sheep

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 12:54:21 pm »
Mole Valley Feet and Fertility buckets have biotin in, but I don't think they are suitable for rams.

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 01:45:03 pm »
Re mole feet and feet ....Chap at mole country stores said ok for rams and I have been putting it in with them for several years ... I do hope it is - so following if anyone knows different!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS