Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly duck  (Read 1258 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
Poorly duck
« on: December 03, 2020, 07:27:02 am »
well drake, actually.

He's a Muscovy, 4/5 years old, living with my little flock (6 ducks and 2 drakes altogether, not all Muscovives). Free range, but shut in an old stable at night.

For the past 3 or 4 weeks he's been getting increasingly unsteady on his feet, he can walk - slowly - on level ground, but any uneveness, or going up a step or over a door threshold he falls over and has to scramble up using his wings to help. He potters about on his own during the day (because he can't keep up with the others) and comes in with the others at night, and is eating normally.  His feathers are a muddy mess now, I don't think it's wet feather as such, I think it's just that he lacks the strength in his legs to be able to preen properly.

I've examined him and there are no visible wounds, swellings, or heat in his legs or feet. All the other ducks are fine.

Anyone experienced similar, or have any ideas what it could be? I've been googling for an hour and can't find a description of any disease that comes close.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Poorly duck
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 08:31:05 am »
I had a duck with similar unsteadiness over the summer, she was 5-6 years old and sadly we put her down. I think it was just old age  :gloomy:

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 09:10:47 am »
It is age related. My old ducks go this way too.

If he can't preen and is getting left behind when the others go off foraging then it would be kindest to despatch/pts. Sorry.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 09:18:49 am »
Thanks for the replies. I would normally agree with culling him, but my other drake, a White Campbell, is approx 8 years old and going strong as are the other Muscovies who are the same age as this one. I know individuals vary, but I didn't think 5 was that old for a duck. A friend has suggested trying mineral/vitamin supplements, so I will give that a try before giving him a death sentence.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 02:00:47 pm »
That's young for a Scovie - they're known to live into double figures.  I assume their coop is clean, no mites, etc, clean water always etc?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 04:45:42 pm »
Feed was my first thought and that he is lacking something. Have they been wormed?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS