Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay mites.  (Read 1950 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Hay mites.
« on: November 19, 2020, 12:14:20 pm »
Anyone know best treatmeant for hay mites. Although I wear gloves i am been badly bitten by the wee sods. My right hand is a mess and very itchy. I have tried creams for insect bites but not helping much. Just bought new leather gloves that cover my wrist and washing my jackets to see if that helps.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Hay mites.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 02:05:22 pm »
Antihistamine tablets.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 03:25:08 pm »
Put insect repellent on your hands and arms, such as Avon skin so soft. This should stop them biting.
Or buy your hay from another supplier.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 12:26:54 am »
Are these the same little mites that ended up turning the seams of my white shirts pink by their collected volume after loading and bringing in the hay bales in years gone by ?? 
Possibly not (cos I never was bitten, as far as I know, and I seem to recall we referred to the culprits of pink garment seams as "grass fleas"):  if not, what are hay mites and what do they look like then - please?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:42:54 am by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 01:08:23 am »
You wear a white shirt [member=152775]arobwk[/member]  to bring in the hay bales?  8)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 05:14:40 pm »
It was "in years gone by", but I guess (because my mother was fussy) white school-shirts were demoted to casual use when they no longer passed the hot-wash whiter-than-white test ! (Or something like that.)   :)

[ Oh and - doesn't every self-respecting hay-maker wear a white shirt ? ]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 05:30:11 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 06:24:58 pm »
It was "in years gone by", but I guess (because my mother was fussy) white school-shirts were demoted to casual use when they no longer passed the hot-wash whiter-than-white test ! (Or something like that.)   :)

[ Oh and - doesn't every self-respecting hay-maker wear a white shirt ? ]

I must admit I used to wear my husband's worn out seventies pink shirts ( :yuck:) for humphing and carting hay because they had dense sleeves to stop the hay from prickling.  Now I can't lift a dense haybale  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 08:22:05 pm »
Are these the same little mites that ended up turning the seams of my white shirts pink by their collected volume after loading and bringing in the hay bales in years gone by ?? 
Possibly not (cos I never was bitten, as far as I know, and I seem to recall we referred to the culprits of pink garment seams as "grass fleas"):  if not, what are hay mites and what do they look like then - please?
They look like thick dust on the barn floor.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 08:31:20 pm »

Uuggh!  Is a photo do-able ?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:42:08 pm by arobwk »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 07:40:46 pm »

Are you sure these are hay mites? We always get straw mites from the bedding on our cattle and donkeys in winter. But these are easily treated with ivomec (or similar) pour on. The animals scratch from them before treatment, but are unaffected after. But there are never so many mites that you can actually see them, and they've certainly never crawled onto me.
However we do get other mites that live in our disused sheds in the dust. These look like a silvery grey dust and will crawl onto you if you inadvertently touch a surface that they are on. I spray every now and then with permethrin (ie crovect or spot on) diluted about 10x with red diesel, or spread some louse powder about. This gets rid of them for a while.
I would suggest you spray or put louse powder on your barn floor and then sweep or vac it all up before putting some fresh hay in. See if that sorts your problem.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 08:38:27 pm »
I was going to suggest diatom - not expensive, and will kill mites
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 05:36:46 pm »
The strange thing is this hay was made in June 2018. It was very green so could only be fed soaked when i had Dolly as she and one of the Shetlands was prone to lamintis. I bought £1000 worth as I feed hay all year round.At this point I was feeding 5 ponies and the sheep. Straw is not kept in this barn. OH swept out the barn before the new hay went in this year and it seems to be mite free.  We fed this hay winter 2018/2019 the ponies had to be given injections as they were all very itchy. The other night I was taken hay out of the haynet to put on the floor for Jazz ( tiny shetland ) I used my left hand and right away run my hand under the outside tap. Within seconds I had bites on 2 off my fingers. You would think I had burnt myself under a hot tap.Very temped just to burn it to be honest.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS