Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming  (Read 1325 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Worming
« on: November 04, 2020, 11:15:37 am »
Hi all

i am just wondering what colour Wormers People are using at the moment.
i have a couple of Wethers (6 months old) that are a bit mucky at the moment i wormed 6 weeks ago with chanerverm 7.5% which is Yellow.
but it hasnt cleared it up

i dont regularly worm and only do as needed

im relitavley new to sheep (4 YEARS) and Worming is something ive never really got my head round.

I suppose its best i get a sample but could it be COCCIDIOSIS although there is no blood in the sample

they have been outside since birth and has only sarted within the last mon or so

advice would be greatly appreciated

follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Worming
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 12:10:34 pm »
Get a sample looked at, cocci doesn’t always have blood in the dung, but it will be loose. It could also be that you gave yellow wormer resistance if it is still worms.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 12:32:31 pm »
If you suspect wormer resistance, and you have more of that wormer available, you could give them a second dose of it now, and then send a sample for FEC in a few days time. That would firstly tell you if worms are the problem, and would secondly tell you definitively if you have yellow wormer resistance.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 01:29:56 pm »
If you suspect wormer resistance, and you have more of that wormer available, you could give them a second dose of it now, and then send a sample for FEC in a few days time. That would firstly tell you if worms are the problem, and would secondly tell you definitively if you have yellow wormer resistance.

Surely you’d need to FEC before worming, and then again after, to see what worms have been killed  :thinking:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 02:15:07 pm »
^ Ideally of course yes. But in this case, the sheep have already been wormed. If you treat again to get rid of any picked up over the past few weeks and then did an FEC, if any eggs are present, that tells you that you have resistance.

What that doesn't do of course is tell you if you *don't* have resistance, or indeed if there were any worms present in the first place! Do you see what I mean?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 02:19:27 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 06:31:36 pm »
Get a FEC  done , not all types of worm are killed by each family of wormer  (  yellow does not kill type l l winter scour )  to check if your wormer worked it is recommended  that you take a FEC 14 days after treatment  . It is important you give the correct dose based normally on the heaviest animal in the group with a correctly calibrated  dosing gun ( buy a small plastic  100ml measuring cylinder off ebay for a few £ )     
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:27:17 pm by shep53 »

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 05:48:23 pm »
https://www.scops.org.uk/

Start here ^^^ to understand some of the issues with worms & wormers
Then speak to a knowledgeable vet

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 09:18:00 am »
Hi all

hope you are well

Thanks for the advice i will get some samples done, and speak to the vet.

cheers

follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS