Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Paralysed pullets!  (Read 620 times)

IBarrett

• Joined Nov 2020
Paralysed pullets!
« on: November 04, 2020, 09:27:18 am »
Two of our speckled Sussex pullets became wobbly and unbalanced on their feet about 6 days ago so I isolated them and since then they have both lost the use of one leg on one side of their body and can’t support their weight. I’ve checked them for injury, sores on their feet, their wings and seem fine. Healthy weight, bright eyes and good appetite. Currently being fed on rice with olive oil and yoghurt, cheese and some bacon rind with some growers pellets.
Really lost as to what may have caused this. They are sisters we got as fertilised eggs from a friend so not sure if it’s genetic. We have another pullet (lavender bantam) who was hatched and raised with them and she is fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated if there’s anything we can do to save them. It’s been around 5 days now and don’t want to prolong their suffering if there’s no hope. :( thanks

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Wester Gladstone Hebridean Sheep
Re: Paralysed pullets!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 12:06:31 pm »
I'm sorry I can't help with what's wrong with your pullets, but I am wondering why you are giving them the strange diet. It's illegal to feed poultry stuff which has been in a domestic kitchen and certainly illegal to feed them bacon, yoghurt and cheese which are animal products!
I shall be interested to read what others have to say about the loss of use of their legs.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 05:32:22 pm by Fleecewife »
www.scothebs.co.uk

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus - let sleeping dragons lie

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 12:58:00 pm »
Sounds like Marek's. Another characteristic is discolouration or distortion in the eyes around the pupil. To chickens too much salt is toxic, so how much is in that diet? Perhaps they are being poisoned, or did you start that diet after they lost the use of their legs? With two sisters going down together it must be something obvious, so perhaps it is genetic as you say?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 04:51:52 pm »
My first thought also was Mareks. Do they shuffle round with their wings droopy? Also another sign is that their droppings will look and smell different to that of healthy birds.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 05:27:11 pm »
Currently being fed on rice with olive oil and yoghurt, cheese and some bacon rind with some growers pellets.
Why would you feed them that???
Just feed growers pellets. No birds can digest yoghurt/milk! Olive oil? What for? Rice is definitelly bad for them. I can understand feeding them a little bit of leftovers as a treat, but you cannot give them these foods as they staple diet!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, geese rabbits and a little boy on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 06:26:02 pm »
I'd guess at Marek's disease too.

Some breeds are more susceptible than others.

I'm thinking that maybe you're feeding them that diet as they are ill and maybe you've read somewhere or other that it might help?????

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 06:27:20 pm »
Marek's can strike when hens are under some stress. Sometimes as they near point of lay.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 06:37:39 pm »
Sorry, it sounds like Mareks and they should be culled to prevent it passing to the other birds although it might be a bit late if they have all been running together. In any case if they are young birds they may very well have picked it up from older birds who could be asymptomatic carriers.

It would be worth getting your vet to do a pm on one bird to confirm or exclude it, in which case you could decide what to do with the other one, and ultimately how to manage the rest of the flock.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 09:14:18 pm »
I’ve had to deal with a flock with Marek’s Disease for several years, but never had two birds going down together even if from the same batch of chicks. Sounds like quite a coincidence. If they do have Marek’s Disease then they would have been infected by the adults in the flock as it’s not passed on via the eggs.

Have a good look at their pelleted feed, is there any mould on it? Or in the feeder?

Rice is not bad for them per se, nor is a bit of yoghurt. Too much salt and preservatives in bacon rind, though, and no need to give them oil. Best to just stick to pellets or wheat for a while and maybe some greens.

If they do pass away, you can have 1 post mortem done by the RVC for free as they will carry them out in case of an unexplained death in livestock.

Good luck  :fc:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 07:51:09 am »
Oh no! One 1 my pullets (hatched this year) got the same symptoms yesterday.
She is not walking- her legs seem floppy. I put her in "self-isolation". She is eating fine, just can't walk.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, geese rabbits and a little boy on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 12:33:16 pm »
It sounds like Marek's.  If it were me, I would be doing one of two things. 

Getting all my birds vaccinated and accepting the need to vaccinate all birds in the flock for evermore (because as I understand it. the vaccine protects individual birds but does not eradicate the virus.)

Clearing out the whole flock, burning (or at the very least steam cleaning and sterilising) all existing housing and equipment, and if possible setting up a new area on different ground with new / sterilised housing and equipment, then buying in hatching eggs to restock.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cow, beef cattle, pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 01:45:47 pm »
It sounds like Marek's.  If it were me, I would be doing one of two things. 

Getting all my birds vaccinated and accepting the need to vaccinate all birds in the flock for evermore (because as I understand it. the vaccine protects individual birds but does not eradicate the virus.)

Clearing out the whole flock, burning (or at the very least steam cleaning and sterilising) all existing housing and equipment, and if possible setting up a new area on different ground with new / sterilised housing and equipment, then buying in hatching eggs to restock.
And feeding a reputable dedicated diet for chicks, the growers, then layers.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 07:25:29 pm »
The pullet that was not walking yesterday seems completely fine today after 1 night of isolation! Bizzare! I hatched her myself this summer from ebay eggs. All other chickens atm are 1yo hybrid (as such assume vaccinated), hens and 1yo cock bought this summer (around may?) Most likely never vaccinated, and some younger pullets hatched this summer which i only put with the older stock this week...

Does Marek's disease affect ducks as well, or is it just chickens? Can ducks carry it if they dont get it themselves?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 05:38:06 pm »
Chickens, quail and turkeys are susceptible to it, but other birds appear to be immune
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

POL Pullets

Started by tirdu

Replies: 1
Views: 1752
Last post March 25, 2009, 10:45:35 pm
by doganjo
Pol pullets

Started by Andrea

Replies: 5
Views: 457
Last post April 26, 2020, 09:43:13 pm
by Andrea
oh no, not bantam pullets ......

Started by Roxy

Replies: 3
Views: 1709
Last post October 08, 2009, 08:23:17 pm
by CameronS
Point of Lay Pullets etc.

Started by Tracey Ireland

Replies: 7
Views: 3082
Last post February 05, 2011, 04:02:13 pm
by Tracey Ireland
Turkey pullets?

Started by fiestyredhead331

Replies: 0
Views: 1046
Last post February 07, 2013, 07:27:31 pm
by fiestyredhead331

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS