Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bury a static caravan  (Read 4987 times)

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
Bury a static caravan
« on: November 01, 2020, 03:40:15 pm »
The idea is simple, dig down a few feet deep the shape of the static caravan say a foot larger all around creating a bund on the north side.

Using these building fencing panels bolted together all around. They are only £29 each but you can often get used ones for next to nothing from scrap old building sites plus the footing blocks and the fixings

https://streetsolutionsuk.co.uk/products/standard-temporary-fencing-panel?variant=19746774155321&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&utm_term=&utm_campaign=AP+%7C+Shopping+%7C+Catch+All+Products&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=1568376786&hsa_cam=1587016215&hsa_grp=60209118859&hsa_ad=298271163582&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=pla-294682000766&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwufn8BRCwARIsAKzP697z4bDFePDxms8XVcakDVzIDhkXjLfiVkV6ly39_t0q2qWIyqjkO5YaAsWhEALw_wcB

Then slide the static caravan in and hook up water, electric and waste.

Then bolt the panels on the top using the same fixings, cover with a water proof sheet and pile leaves on top for insulation.

Have a translucent wall on the south side, like an earth ship. Using whatever glass windows/doorsor other salvaged or from free cycle.

The idea is to keep I hidden and provide better insulation.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Bury a static caravan
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 05:21:27 pm »
The idea is simple, dig down a few feet deep the shape of the static caravan say a foot larger all around creating a bund on the north side.

Using these building fencing panels bolted together all around. They are only £29 each but you can often get used ones for next to nothing from scrap old building sites plus the footing blocks and the fixings

https://streetsolutionsuk.co.uk/products/standard-temporary-fencing-panel?variant=19746774155321&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&utm_term=&utm_campaign=AP+%7C+Shopping+%7C+Catch+All+Products&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=1568376786&hsa_cam=1587016215&hsa_grp=60209118859&hsa_ad=298271163582&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=pla-294682000766&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwufn8BRCwARIsAKzP697z4bDFePDxms8XVcakDVzIDhkXjLfiVkV6ly39_t0q2qWIyqjkO5YaAsWhEALw_wcB

Then slide the static caravan in and hook up water, electric and waste.

Then bolt the panels on the top using the same fixings, cover with a water proof sheet and pile leaves on top for insulation.

Have a translucent wall on the south side, like an earth ship. Using whatever glass windows/doorsor other salvaged or from free cycle.

Errr, good luck with that. I think you would be heading to a world of hurt when you get discovered.
Sorry to piddle on your fireworks .

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 05:52:29 pm »
"What could possibly go wrong?" you may ask yourself. I'll tell you.
  1. presumably you are hoping to remain undetected for the requisite length of time, and thereby obtain a Certificate of Lawful Use or Existing Development? The requisite time for a caravan is 10 years. Is it really your wish to live in a cramped, dark, damp shed for 10 years?? There must be easier and better ways to spend 10 years of your life. But each to his own. :innocent:
  2. Do you really think no one will notice this earth moving, appearance of heras panels, covered over with leaves on top? It will obviously be hiding something and come to someone's attention, who will helpfully mention it to the local council. . . .
  3. Hooking up the waste could be a problem as water doesn't normally flow uphill. :thinking:
  4. In the unlikely event that no one notices your excavations, sliding in the caravan under cover of darkness, questions the purpose of your strange Heras structure, leaf covered tarpaulin and propped up old windows, and in the event that you stuck with living in this unlikely structure for 10 years, then you wouldn't be granted a CLEUD anyway, as deliberate concealment negates this attempt at permitted development. But heyho - you can never say "never"! :sunshine:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 10:32:14 pm »
AND - you've posted it on here so one of us might clipe  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 11:46:05 pm »
Bury the idea ! (Would be best.)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 07:46:52 am »
Aside from all the other points, this will create terrible condensation. I doubt the caravan will survive and your health may not either.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 10:04:59 am »
Why would you want to waste minimum 10 years of your life in miserable living conditions, always being on edge of being discovered?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 12:30:00 pm »
Hang on a sec, "keep it hidden" can be interpreted in several different ways. We've all taken it to mean "keep it secret so the planners don't find out". Was that what you actually meant though [member=144981]Orinlooper[/member] ?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 12:32:22 pm »
Hang on a sec, "keep it hidden" can be interpreted in several different ways. We've all taken it to mean "keep it secret so the planners don't find out". Was that what you actually meant though [member=144981]Orinlooper[/member] ?

Yes exactly

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 01:16:14 pm »
In which case, if you don't mind about having to live that way forever, I do know of places which are concealed and have been there for many years.  Locals know about them but aren't bothered as the occupants cause no problems and look after the bits of forest or whatever that they inhabit.  One day the tree fellers will come, and they will have to move on presumably.

If your idea was to get the Certificate of Lawful Use, and you are in England (I don't know the rules for the other countries), then landroverroy gave you the salient piece of information; anything which could be considered fraudulent could be used as a reason to not grant the CLU.  But you would need to talk to a planning consultant in your area to know whether your scheme would be considered fraudulent; it's open to interpretation.  Getting planning permission for some stables and living in them for 4 years then applying for a CLU would be pretty unequivocally fraudulent.  But building and living in a well-concealed dwelling, possibly not so much, depending on your local planners.

However, as landroverroy also told you, it's 10 years for a caravan, so if you are planning to do this you might want to consider doing something which is not a caravan - ie., is not something which can be driven / towed away - in which case it's 4 years. 

It is not illegal to build or live in a structure; it is only illegal to continue to do so in contravention of a Planning Enforcement Notice.  So if no-one ever reports it, and you meet the elapsed time requirements, then you can apply for the CLU.  (If you think about it, if it hasn't caused any issues resulting in someone reporting it for many years, then is it really a problem to anyone for it to be there?) 

There are lots of hoops : it has to be a recognised eligible dwelling, which to most planners means it has to have running water, sewerage and power, a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen; you have to be able to show continuous occupancy as your main / only home for the relevant period (and holiday letting does not count, it has to be being used as a home continuously); etc.  It is for the planners to prove that you have not, but you do need some evidence that you have.  Take pictures and record key dates, like when services were connected, when you moved in, and so on.

Again, a local planning consultant would know what your local planners look for.  As a start, you could have a read of applications and decisions made on previous applications in your area (search "Certificate of Lawful Use" in your local online planning register.)

Lots of good info on the Chapter 7 website and in Simon Fairlie's book (details on the Chapter 7 website.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 08:27:21 am »
Save your earnings for 10 years and buy a ligitimate building like most of us do  :innocent:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 10:08:53 am »
If your prepping for armageddon - your best off using a shipping container so you can keep the environment under proper control as its a sealed unit. 
Caravan would be s**t on top of the ground let alone under it.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 12:15:18 pm »
If your prepping for armageddon - your best off using a shipping container so you can keep the environment under proper control as its a sealed unit. 
Caravan would be s**t on top of the ground let alone under it.

Do you not think you'd run out of air in your sealed container long before it was safe to emerge back again to the devastated countryside? :thinking: [size=78%] [/size]
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2020, 12:56:23 pm »

Who are you hiding from?  Do you have a shady past [member=144981]Orinlooper[/member] ?  :coat:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS