Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fireworks. im so proud of my big mare  (Read 6549 times)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
fireworks. im so proud of my big mare
« on: November 05, 2010, 08:46:52 pm »
Are neighbours had some fireworks in the field next to my horses barn tonight, they let me know this afternoon, which was nice of them, so i stayed in the barn with my horses with the radio on (loud)
The fireworks started my big mare (faith) started panicking rushing round her stable, so i burst into song, singing my little heart out with the radio,(she is the only one that appreciates my singing!!!!!!) she came to me and we started mutual grooming, we ended the firework display with faith, back leg resting, head down and yawning, and me stratching her shoulder, as these big, loud, bright things went off.
Im so proud of her, i had a propa proud mummy moment.  :horse:
Just left her eating now the sky is quiet again

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: fireworks. im so proud of my big mare
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:57:24 pm »
That is lovely!  Good girl!  My old German Wirehaired Plonker is gun shy, pan bang shy, plate dropped shy, yoghurt tub splitting shy, and everything-else-that-makes-a-noise shy.  But she has been lying beside me quietly all through it staring at me wide eyed with terror in her eyes.  Me proud momma too. lol  So I share your moment. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:33:40 am »
Well done all of you! If you want some desensitiation - come to us. We're right beside the army range and we get BIG bangs and pyrotechnics. My three ponies don't even stop grazing now and Tess, our collie, sleeps through most and she was a REAL woose.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 11:07:10 am »
my oh did the dog sit while i was with the horses, two of the dogs are not bother but our little jack russell just asks for reassurance. The night passed well with all animals relaxed and happy, glad your household was ok as well doganjo.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 01:40:47 pm »
At my old livery they had their fireworks and bonfire in the field I rented! my horse did not bother and even went to the fire embers for a warm :o.You could have a shotgun go off near him and he wouldnt bother but fire an air rifle across the valley and he would panic!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 06:52:24 pm »
I've never had problems with fireworks here before as the displays are usually in towns 3 miles in either direction and the ponies are used to the main road, the RAF Leuchars flightpath and occasional shooting, tho they spook at first with the shotguns over the road ::)

This year I had an unexpected problem on 30th October - a newish neighbour set off loud fireworks without warning beside a field of 4 girls, 2 of which have ongoing health problems which were exacerbated by their distress, and the other 2 were yearling fillies who bolted into a fence I spent nearly £700 on earlier in the summer.  It was trashed, one left either side of it dashing up and down trying to reunite themselves and both with missing hair and wire burns  :o  Luckily said new fence was bordering an empty paddock of mine which they'd not long come out of so I was able to retrieve them and spent 2 hours at dawn on the Sunday knocking posts back in (2 broken) and restapling the wire on..  Ponies were wired for hours and I was raging so didn't dare go and knock their door to complain ::)

So Friday I spent 3 hours in the back field talking to them over the gate and yesterday another 2 hours split between them and rushing down to the other end of my holding when a neighbour in the nearby village (200 yards) decided to have a bonfire party with fireworks again without notifying me  >:(  The yearling colt in there was starting to panic but luckily his companion is my 16yo gelding and after one wee canter up the field he took a mint and a pat and decided eating grass was too important to be interrupted, which helped no end in settling the colt as he'd take off, run back, graze and then eventually barely look up ;)

I have been out briefly this evening on the basis that some numpty may have bulk bought the leftovers in the supermarkets but I only heard one or two at a distance so far so am risking being indoors tonight as it's so flippin cold out!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 06:59:32 pm »
oh god! how are your horses doing now are they all ok?                                                                                                                    why cant folk let you know when there doing stuff like that, i was chuffed my new neighbours let me know they were doing fireworks, they even sent me an e mail to apologuise afterwards as they didnt realise how loud they would be.
we had a few last night but not as close, i went to barn to check everyone and they were just eating.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 01:49:49 pm »
none of my neighbours bothered telling me that they were having fireworks, but I was very lucky that Blue just took them all in his stride and very calmly walked in hand from the top paddock to his stable with what sounded like world war 3 all around. I was so proud of him as the noise went on for 3 nights and he never flinched.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 04:40:19 pm »
another proud mummy moment? bless him

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 08:06:06 pm »
Horses are bettter out than in when fireworks are about. :)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 08:25:23 pm »
i think that depends on the individual horse, i have seen horses wrapped in fencing, upside down in ditches, and jumping fences and running away because of the fight of a firework. Its up to the individual horse owner to do what they see as the best for their horse. Mine are better in  :wave:

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 10:17:12 pm »
I'm glad your horses are ok.

We've got the four dogs and non of them are scared. However, being in the middle of Birmingham around bonfire night, anyone could be forgiven for reaching mid November with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder............. so many fireworks!

One went off while our youngest Leonberger was out and he s*1T a brick! Fortunately about 5 more went off shortly after so I just calmly went out to have a look and he followed me and all was good. I think calmness pays dividends in these situations.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

waterhouse

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 05:54:28 pm »
Our Jack Russell was beside himself but the horses were totally chilled.  Then we are next to a main road, under the helicopter flightpath for Luton Airport and I shoot rabbits (while the posh people shoot pheasants).  Said Jack Russell isn't fond of the games birds who visit us at this time of the year but he's never caught one. 

Which reminds me of the time we rode down a bridle path and noticed that some beaters was driving birds downhill across the path to where the guns were waiting.  We were wearing hi-viz so the beaters saw us and the artillery saw us, apparently except the bloke on the end who saw a bird come over and gave it both barrels right over our heads.  I don't know whether he got it because our chaps did a walk to gallop transition and we just had to hang on. 

One of the shoot syndicate members is the local mfh so red faces on their side.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 06:36:21 pm »
Well done faith0504. Wish all animal owners were as responsible.

Ban home fireworks, that's what I say.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 06:59:17 pm »
its just about knowing your animals, be it horses, dogs, pigs, sheep, cats, any pet, they are all individuals and deal with things in there own ways, we are here to help them deal with positve and negative in the safest environment.

thanks knightquest calmness pays all the time.

ohlala   i agree with banning home fireworks it would safe alot of injuries to animals and humans i reckon

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS