Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: non prescription diuretic for hens  (Read 1766 times)

susie100

• Joined Feb 2018
non prescription diuretic for hens
« on: October 25, 2020, 03:38:20 pm »
Hi
I have a hen that looks very much like she has heart failure.  she is showing all the signs including water belly which I haven't been able to reduce very much by aspiration.  there is a diuretic i could get via prescription, Flubendazole, but to be honest, she isn't a pet, we are in full lockdown and not earning a penny and I dont want to spend money on something that isnt going to cure her.  However, if she lives comfortably a little longer then all well and good.  My question is, does anyone know of another diuretic I could use without prescription?
Thank you

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: non prescription diuretic for hens
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 05:48:50 pm »
A number of vehetables are natural diuretics - cucumber, cabbage and parsley spring to mind, and there's also dandelion - could you perhaps soak a little and add the liquid to her drinking water? or syringe into her?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 05:54:50 pm »
I thought Flubendazole was a wormer. Is it a diuretic as well?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 08:29:04 pm »
Water belly, heart failure... that’s not something that can be made comfortable. Not an easy decision but it sounds like the right (and kindest) thing to do is to have her put to sleep at the vet’s and save her from suffering. :bouquet:

Just fyi, parsley irritates / burns a chicken’s throat (not an old wives’ tale, I have seen it myself and there was no doubt it was caused by the parsley).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 01:21:22 pm »
I'm inclined to agree about letting her go peacefully  :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS