Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Collecting wild trees; when?  (Read 4064 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Collecting wild trees; when?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 11:55:36 pm »
[member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] what willow varieties do you have ?  I could do a few baby oaks in exchange.

Hi Arobwk, I have a selection of willow but as I lost all the labels I can't name the ones I have .  My dad collected them from all over, so some are probably ornamental.  Some are tall growers, maybe about 60' so far, with a progression of catkin times for the bees, some are smaller and grow less fast and a couple have an almost weeping form, but are not actual weeping willows. There is one with dark red stems and an upright habit which I keep pollarded. I'm happy to send you some cuttings of as many as I can reach, but I am getting some oaks from Steph Hen which will be all I need, thanks. (We have stuffed just about every spare space we have with trees so soon the sheep will be squeezed right out!)  The oaks do need to be Sessile for up here, and from Cornwall oaks are highly likely to be pedunculate I would think.  Shame, it would have been lovely to have a tree from my Grandad's birthplace  :D
I did have two types of alpine willow but they died  ::)
pm me with your address and I'll take some cuttings for you if you let me know which ones you would like.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 11:57:38 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 02:19:43 pm »
So it will come as no surprise to many of you, but you cannot just pull out oak saplings.
Next step was to dig them out with a fork but I think they put down a tap root as the first step and it goes down deep even for a tiny twig.
Still didn't get to the end of the roots but I have 4 lifted and heeled them in so we'll see how they get on.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 05:43:54 pm »
[member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] thanks for offer.  I will PM in a while, or so.  (I hadn't thought about type of oak, but glad you're sorted on that front.)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS