Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deer fencing for an idiot  (Read 14899 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Deer fencing for an idiot
« on: October 13, 2020, 04:03:05 pm »
Wondered if anyone has had any deer fencing done that they’d not mind explaining a bit? I’ve to start researching it and always like to at least sound slightly knowledgeable when asking for quotes or discussing with contractors. It’s for roe deer and rabbits and a few km long. Is there anything I should look out for; Type of posts, size of wire, etc.,?
Also can anyone recommend any good contractors for Angus area? Thanks in advance.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Deer fencing for an idiot
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 04:51:38 pm »
Not an expert but I've used enclosed forestry areas to run my dogs that were deer fenced.

The areas that need rabbits kept out need chicken wire on the bottom half, and some of it dug down into the groud, and bent inwards - to reduce digging underneath.

Then the top half is stock fencing with a wire between the two sections, joined with metal clips.  Make sure the clips are also galvanised as well as the fencing wires or they'll rust away in a couple of years and allow animals to push their way in.  Strong fence posts/strainers are needed at regular intervals all round.  And maybe two gates at each entrance - a pedestrian one which is easy to go in and out of, especially if your hands are full, as well as a 12 foot or so one for machinery

Does that help?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 06:47:35 pm »
[member=28951]Steph Hen[/member] - Angus and only interested in Roe deer ?  Are you not concerned about Red deer or Sika which would require higher fencing?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 07:02:15 pm by arobwk »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 09:35:23 pm »
Most deer fencing woodlands I've been in are at least 6 feet, but I've been told some deer can jump that? 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 01:34:37 pm »
Thanks for replies, just to get get a bit more of a handle on it. Thanks for the advice on the person access and tractor access gates; that sounds useful. Only roe here and on neighbouring ground.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 07:31:37 pm »
Thanks for replies, just to get get a bit more of a handle on it. Thanks for the advice on the person access and tractor access gates; that sounds useful. Only roe here and on neighbouring ground.
Six feet should do then

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 10:32:05 pm »

If you are sure [member=28951]Steph Hen[/member] that you only need to consider Roe deer*, then a fence between 1.2m and (preferably) 1.4m should be OK.  Mine is somewhere in between and I've had no Roe encroachments despite having a significant local population of Roe with very frequent sightings and well-worn deer track-ways on my acres !

My fencing comprises UK high-spec' rabbit mesh on the bottom and a 50mm chicken mesh above.  The rabbit mesh has an out-turn at the bottom laid over the ground outwards (rather than being buried) and was pegged down on installation.  (However, once grass has grown through the out-turn, pegging-down is not really needed.)  I also have a high resident population of rabbits, but none have broached the fence or gateway after years. 

Gateway:  timber plank inserted into the ground under the line of the gate and rabbit mesh/lower timber plank added to gate.  To deter Roe deer leaping the gate, some tall angle brackets have been added to top of gate with fishing line strung between.  (Deer don't like dealing with stuff they can feel, but can't quite make-out by sight - apparently!)

*If your area has a population of Muntjac deer, then you might need to be rather more careful.  Seemingly they can/will climb fences:  if they are around in any significant number in your part of the UK you might wish to also consider an out turn at the top of the fence especially on a 1.2-1.4m rabbit/Roe deer fence.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:11:50 am by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 04:47:36 pm »
Correction to my previous post (Reply #7):  my deer/rabbit fence is actually 1.45m - 1.47m high and a refresher look at fencing spec's indicates that Roe deer fencing recommendations range from 1.2m to 1.5m depending on the amount of land one wishes to exclude a resident population of Roe deer from.  I guess that equates to how desirable the deer consider it to be on the other side !

Another thought [member=28951]Steph Hen[/member] is how desirable it is for your rabbits to also be on the other side of your fence (?)  I have gardening clients who had their rabbit fencing renewed a few years back and the rabbits have chewed their way through in several places.  Yes, they will chew through wire!  Since you are considering several km of fencing I would suggest you consider paying a bit more for premium quality rabbit mesh - it will bump up the overall fencing price obviously, but it might/should reduce the amount of patching you will need to do over the years.

I believe Screwfix still do a Tornado mesh/wire bundle at a very good price (I've bought several bundles in past years) which should be a step up from the cheapest rabbit mesh.
I would suggest you ensure contractors give a detailed breakdown of their materials prices and state the brand/spec' rabbit mesh they will be offering so that you can check that they are not substantially over-egging the cost/price. 

(One can get even higher spec'd mesh than the Screwfix bundle, but my rabbits haven't tried/managed to get through yet.)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:26:56 pm by arobwk »

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 05:49:38 pm »
Thank you!!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 07:41:56 am »

sounds like goat fencing to me ......  1.5 m high and reinforced at base   :innocent:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 07:26:22 pm »

sounds like goat fencing to me ......  1.5 m high and reinforced at base   :innocent:

Surely goat fencing would also need stock mesh [member=26580]Backinwellies[/member] !?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 11:03:14 pm »
If running 2 different layers of mesh (as I did) best to have any overlap of the upper mesh behind (in-board of) the lower mesh - this will, theoretically, make it harder for animals (muntjac say) to prise the 2 layers apart to force a gap/squeeze-in between layers.  This means installing the upper mesh run first !

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 07:48:12 am »
Thanks for this arobwk and everyone else. The kids are back at school on Tuesday so I can start making the phone calls and put the grant together. It’s for tree planting, so no more goats in these bits.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 01:28:09 pm »
Ah!  If you are seeking a grant [member=28951]Steph Hen[/member] there will almost certainly be a particular spec' to be complied with.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 01:42:52 am »
(Having a Spotify evening - they tend to go on beyond a sensible bed-time - it's so difficult to find that track to end a session on !  .....

So I've been idly looking at spec's for various fencing grants:  rabbit mesh will almost certainly need to be the very top spec' - 18 gauge/1.2mm wired mesh. 

and right now, St Germain "Sure Thing" and maybe I'll click on something from Little Dragon or Pink Martini before I go shut-eye :) :) )
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:49:12 am by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS