Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feather pecking  (Read 5686 times)

hebber

• Joined Mar 2008
feather pecking
« on: October 27, 2008, 06:06:46 pm »
My cockerel and a couple of the hens seem to have had lots of their feathers pecked off.  in my book it gives reasons for pecking being if they are too warm or if they are confined in too small a space.  None of which seem to be possible as they are in a coop outside, which has ventilation.  I rarely shut the door to the coop either as we have no foxes.  They are also free to roam wherever they like.  Has anyone got any ideas for other reasons for this. 

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: feather pecking
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:14:32 pm »
boredem?
Need something else todo/peck at?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 08:44:11 pm »
Where are the feathers plucked from? They may be doing it themselves - have you checked for parasites like lice?

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 08:47:26 pm »
are they not just in malt? mant of our birds are malting at the moment with new feathers coming through...............bit chilly though...................neil

hebber

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 03:05:42 pm »
I'm sure they aren't just in malt, as they've been like it for the last few months.  I did see one of the hens peck at the cockerel's behind - which was quite funny because he looked quite shocked and appalled by the intrusion - so they do seem to be pecking at each other.  I'll check for lice and maybe try hangin something up for them to peck at.  thanks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:35:50 pm »
My ducks and chickens have been moulting for about 6 to 8 weeks.  I think the wet weather we have had recently has had something to do with it.  Poor things get very cold now as we have very frosty mornings.  They don't push the door open now - wait for me to open it for them.  I let the ducks out into the stream this morning and they were re-oiling themselves so I think they will be back on lay again soon.  The Light Sussex are almost re-feathered now but two or three of my ex battery RIRs are still very naked.  None of them are scratching, it's just the time of year when all chickens and ducks re-feather for the winter and the weather catches them out sometimes.  I would think you may have lice or mites so you need to get that cleared up as soon as possible.
Annie
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:37:38 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lab7

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Perth
    • The Veterinary Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:43:54 am »
Some of our chickens get pecked as well and they are roaming about outside. We've noticed that it's the Bovan Nera's which are pecking the Light Sussex - has anyone else had problems with them being aggressive?
Mary.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS