Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken korma poorly..  (Read 4269 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Chicken korma poorly..
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:47:37 pm »
not quite sure whats wrong with my amber girl. She's about 2 years old and for last 2 days has been a bit depressed, separating herself from the flock, wanting to eat but not actually doing so (ie. runs for food for doesnt' peck at it) her crop looks swollen but there's no sour smell from her and the crop feels soft.  poo's seem normal and she's not really laid for months so no change there!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Chicken korma poorly..
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 06:33:19 pm »
Is she crop bound? Does her crop go down, keep an eye on it. Pick her up - does she feel 'boney'?

If she has access to long grass she may be crop bound, this is my first thought. Can you feel grain in the crop? Don't force it down if you can feel it, crop bound is a problem.

Let us know asap.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 06:47:43 pm »
definately does not feel boney. I can't feel grain but I did think I could feel something spiky (can't quite describe it) in her crop. its like a twig but don't know if its her anatomy.
no access to long grass, she never leaves the run (unlike her friends chicken tikka and maude who fly over the electric fence) and the run is well chowed down. they have layers pellets and occasional handsful of mixed corn, sometimes pasta or porrige.. the other 13 are all fit and well.
thank you for your reply  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 06:57:16 pm »
Tricky one this. The answer to a crop bound I do know, but isn't nice, and seldom works.

Try giving her something tempting with vegetable oil in it. This will hopefully help whatever it is IF she has a blockage, go down. If it is a twig, prognosis not good. But, I could be wrong, let's hope I am - can't see why she would eat a twig. She hasn't managed to get hold of a small bone has she (poss picked up after fox raided a bin, or even mouse leftovers)?

My very best wishes.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 07:00:33 pm »
thanks ohlala  :)   unlikely she would have got a bone because she never leaves her run. she's a lovely old girl that has always been the children's favourite, very cuddly and placid. really hoping that this will pass. tomorrow I will feed her with something rich in olive oil or try to syringe some warm oil.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 07:04:18 pm »
Sardines in olive oil might work.  Good luck.  Hope she's still OK tomorrow so you can try this.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 07:10:30 pm »
Interesting idea doganjo. I'd use just the oil, don't want anything solid like a bone in there - and the oil will have some added goodness. Plus the girl might enjoy the yummy taste of the treat and eat readily. If all goes well give her the next treat with a bit of the fish meat, do avoid the bones though, even though they are soft.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 08:10:59 pm »
Thanks both. will try the sardine/oil idea tomorrow.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 08:03:25 am »
Hope it goes well for korma

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 11:20:28 am »
Interesting idea doganjo. I'd use just the oil, don't want anything solid like a bone in there - and the oil will have some added goodness. Plus the girl might enjoy the yummy taste of the treat and eat readily. If all goes well give her the next treat with a bit of the fish meat, do avoid the bones though, even though they are soft

I mush them up for that reason.  Empty the tin into a shallow bowl, mash with a fork, add a little extra oil - I add that to porridge oats and they love it.  No bones left to hurt them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 05:07:22 pm »
much better today, crop seems less swollen and she has been eating her pellets since yesterday. seems a good massage was all that was needed this time bless her! thanks all xx

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 05:55:29 pm »
Good news. Sounds like it was a crop blockage. Did you give her the veg/fish oil 'lubrication'?

:)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 01:32:35 pm »
in the end, didn't need to -  bit of a rub before she went to bed and she was fine next day. had oil on standby though!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS