Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preparing poultry carcass  (Read 1087 times)

silver

• Joined Feb 2020
Preparing poultry carcass
« on: September 24, 2020, 10:07:10 am »
Hello all,

I am getting ready to do my first slaughter, been eyeing up one pecky git for a while now. I am comfortable with my ability to dispatch a chicken (although I need a better knife if someone has a brand/style recommendation) however while I have skinned animals like rabbits before I have never plucked a chicken!

I was looking at getting one of the those plucking machines with the rubber fingers but there are 3 issues I have with these.

1) I am unsure on the best size to get, I rear large fowl, buff orpingtons, jersey giants, geese, turkeys and orpington ducks and soon quails (which makes things a little more confusing).

2) I will need a scalder too

3) They are quite pricey

I was wondering what people would suggest to me, doing it by hand wont be an option as I will be looking to do 1000 birds a month in the near future once I get my WATOK, maybe more at christmas.

I was wondering peoples thoughts on this?

https://www.fruugo.co.uk/poultry-scalder-with-chicken-plucker-30cm-bundle-feather-removal-stainless-steel/p-28998102-61363642

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS