Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe’s udder not gone down  (Read 1308 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Ewe’s udder not gone down
« on: September 21, 2020, 09:14:36 pm »
I have one ewe who’s udder is a little larger and firmer than the others. Weaned at the beginning of August so her lamb was approx 16 weeks. I know when she had her lamb with her I noticed her teats were quite large but they subsequently went down. They  aren’t hot or lumpy, nothing coming out of them. They are equal size, not causing her any issues such as pain. She had no issue with me touching them. She is acting normally and not in any discomfort. Can it be that she’s just taking longer to deflate? The tup is due to go in in the next couple of days.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ewe’s udder not gone down
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 09:46:21 am »
No lumps, no heat, no pain, not hard, feels the same all over... all sounds fine :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 10:33:59 am »
Sounds fine the udder when it goes down  can be any size depending of the age and size at lambing , bot it should feel soft and floppy kinda like a cotton scarf scrunched into a ball  .Please  leave the teats alone they are sealing to keep out any infection

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 03:06:35 pm »
Thanks both. Because it’s the major thing I’ve learned about udders I was worried about mastitis, having only seen images of mastitis and never felt an udder suffering from it, I’ve just tried to assess as best I can. I thought it would prob be a bit late in the day for this anyway? I definitely haven’t fiddled with any teats  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS