Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Re-Fencing costs  (Read 2263 times)

mark_p_monroe

• Joined Sep 2020
Re-Fencing costs
« on: September 20, 2020, 09:58:11 pm »
I have  a parcel of land 25m long with  sheep fencing on both sides, One side done with just sheep fence and extra line of wire, into wooden posts at 3m gap.   the other side is done with sheep wire, posts and rails.

We want to cap the 10m width of the land at both ends and use the area for a dog run.  We intend to put extra chicken wire along both of the 25m sides and then install new 1.2m high galvanised wire with 2 x 2  gaps with 4inch posts.  We would then have a 2 meter gate in each end.  The dogs are small dachshunds  so we woriied about getting heads stuck in bottom of sheep fencing.

I have 2 frozen shoulders so am just not able to complete the work, so anyone got any idea how much i should pay for 50m of chicken wire overlay, and then 2 gates and approx 16m of new fence.  Ive been quoted £650 for labour only, but that seems ridiculous to me!   I have all the materials on site already

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
Re: Re-Fencing costs
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 09:58:20 am »
That sounds steep to me. I paid about 3x that for around 200m of stock fencing, two strands of barbed wire and two gates. Materials and labour, everything included.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 11:04:54 am »
Chicken wire is the devil's own to use, you might get a cheaper quote for a second layer of stock fencing, offset to make the available holes smaller ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 12:01:54 pm »
We have found that having two layers of mesh, or one of chicken wire and the other sheep mesh, is something of a death trap, perhaps not for the dachsies, but for lambs or poultry on the other side. It is almost impossible to get chicken wire really taut, just because of the way it's made, so it becomes a series of hanging traps - heads can get through but not back.

Sorry I can't help with costs as we've always done our own, but perhaps a single person fencing business would be the way to go. I would think that the costs reflect where you are and how many fencing providers there are in the area.  Get at least 3 estimates before committing yourself to such a cost. Perhaps the price is higher because of the gates and all those strainers needed - can be hard work if your ground is rocky like ours.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 12:38:09 pm »
The best advice is get some more quotes. If they are similar then that's what the cost is in your area.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 08:25:01 pm »
Couple of thoughts:
At face value, your requirements [member=206153]mark_p_monroe[/member] seem to be fairly limited and not requiring the services of an agri' fencing "contractor".  As Fleecewife sort of suggested, you might be better off engaging a "handy-person" I reckon. 
However, hanging/clipping-in a bit of "rabbit/chicken wire" takes time (apart from testing one's patience and wrist strength). 

Where are you ??
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 08:33:07 pm by arobwk »

mark_p_monroe

• Joined Sep 2020
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 08:49:22 am »
Thanks for taking the time to offer your advice, really appreciate it.  We are in shropshire/powys border.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 10:24:10 pm »
Unfortunately you are too far away [member=206153]mark_p_monroe[/member] for me to offer my services:  but there will be someone nearby I'm sure.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 02:35:48 pm »
Have you thought of using debris netting for scaffold instead of chicken wire? You could get a multitude of colours and you can staple it on with a hand stapler?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS