Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apple pulp  (Read 3225 times)

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
Apple pulp
« on: September 20, 2020, 01:08:10 pm »
Pigs went to slaughter 2 weeks ago and now I have lots of apple pulp following the juice extraction.
Other than add it to the compost, are there any other ways to make use of it?
Thanks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Apple pulp
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 10:00:01 pm »
I don't have a lot but I've frozen it to make puddings or jam with when I have time.  My cousin brought me loads of apples when I didn't have time to do anything with it
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 08:09:04 am »

My hens have been tucking into apple leftovers.
Graeme, was it you and your lovely wife who had me visit your walnut tree a few years ago?  :tree:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 05:43:36 pm »
Feed it to chickens, compost, or... make jam! You can make beautiful apple jam, we Polish people use it with crepes or apple cake, or simply on toast.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 08:25:01 am »
Thanks all.
The chickens did not wait to be fed, they helped themselves.
One bucket in the compost heap and I have dumped another on a bare plot so whoever wants it (above or below ground) can take it and with 6 months to rot away before I plant anything, I think it will be ok.
Next weeks pressing I will save the pulp and freeze it for later use.

Yes Steph. Walnut tree is laden this year - just difficult to collect the nuts as they all fall on the garage roof.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 08:11:11 am »
Sorry Graeme I’d lost track of who it was on here. Thought your hens would like the spoke pulp :-)
Will be great for catching all manner of bugs and flies that the hens can also eat.
Can you send your son onto the roof? -my two boys are forever climbing up and being on trees and buildings they’re not meant to be on! Thanks again; my research into walnut trees saved us a fine of around £20K!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 11:32:26 am »
How about a long handled brush to scoop them to the ground?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS