Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help with canker in chickens  (Read 1171 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Help with canker in chickens
« on: September 17, 2020, 01:31:18 pm »
One of my friends has a chicken which he thinks has canker. Yellow cheesey like growths in her mouth and throat. He has been told that acidified copper sulphate could help? Just wondered if anyone could help with how to deal with this problem? Thank you
4 pet sheep

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Help with canker in chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 07:26:37 pm »
Yes, your friend is right that it sounds like canker. The bird needs metronidazole, it can be obtained from a vet.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 09:23:03 pm »
Thank you Eve, he's got an appointment with the vet tomorrow so hopefully he'll get the chicken sorted out.
4 pet sheep

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 12:29:45 pm »
Flagyl is the brand name we were given. The cheesy growths are a combination of ulceration and inflammation caused by a parasite called Trichomonas Gallinae. Unfortunately when the immune system is depressed they can rapidly take the bird over and it may be too late to save your friend's hen. The big problem though is it is transmitted via feeders and drinkers, so the rest of the flock will be carrying it and now need to remain 'closed', so none out and none in. I suggest treating the rest of the flock as well, but see what the vet thinks. If not treated now, the others will need regular inspection for small growths in the mouth at which point, based on our experience, they can be helped. Until you are certain none are carrying it the flock needs to remain closed.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 10:09:21 pm »
Thanks Chrismahon, unfortunately my friend had to have his chicken put to sleep. The vet found that the growth was all down in her throat so it was best to put her to sleep. I'll pass on all your advice. Thank you
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS