Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potato Grow Bags  (Read 1608 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Potato Grow Bags
« on: September 13, 2020, 11:46:55 am »
We're thinking of growing some spuds next year but don't quite have the space for them in our raised beds. So we thought about using the grow bags as they can be placed in other areas.

Has anyone used them before and if so. Which ones would you recommend? There seems to be a ton of them out there but i'd rather have something that is going to last and do the job properly.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Potato Grow Bags
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 12:31:44 pm »
Beechgrove Garden programme did a test on them a year or so ago if you can find it
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 04:47:36 pm »
I've not tried the bags but I had to potato plants that you could just slide a panel up to get at the potatoes without having to dig up the whole plant. I didn't find them very successful although what we did harvest were very nice. It was the quantity of compost I had to buy to keep earthing them up that got me as well. I then tried using old food sacks with holes in the sides to let water out and they were no better for the same reason. If you can fill them with soil rather than buying compost, it would be more worth while. I just couldn't justify £10 worth of compost for a kilo of spuds. They weren't that nice. I did better with the ones that grew from peelings in the manure heap.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 08:49:34 pm »
I grew spuds in Redundant woven plastic refuse /rubble sacks this year  Very pleased with the outcome.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 11:26:59 pm »
I've had good success with black bins. I'm not sure if the fact that they are black helps them absorb heat to keep the soil warmer  but they certainly grew well and they had minimal input from me

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS