Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame sheep - outer horn missing  (Read 2045 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Lame sheep - outer horn missing
« on: September 07, 2020, 10:37:19 pm »
One of my sheep is lame and occasionally grazing on her knees. She was in a few days ago and the issue is she broke the outer horn off the front part of her foot on one toe. It was just a flap so I trimmed it off as it wasn’t doing anything for her foot and I didn’t want it catching and ripping or having a negative effect.
She had a footbath a few days ago and I blue sprayed the foot, and again a couple of days later. Is there anything else I can do for her? I assume it is probably the imbalance in outer horn which is making it uncomfortable to walk on? I was thinking of getting her in off the wet grass and on dry ground but I don’t know what that will actually do until the outer horn regrows. I can’t bandage it. Not sure what I can do to help her. Any ideas?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Lame sheep - outer horn missing
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 11:48:14 am »
Picture would help identify what the problem may be ?? has she had an antibiotic for footrot or codd ??  The horn will regrow pretty quickly if no persistent infection

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 02:10:32 pm »
No CODD or footrot. They get a bit of shelly hoof and it’s been pretty wet underfoot so feet can be a bit soft and I think she probably caught her foot on something and broke it. Over time it’s got looser and we had to trim it back as it wasn’t providing any support and didn’t want it breaking further. I can’t see any infection, it’s not red or bleeding etc, but it seems she’s pretty uncomfortable on it. I guess we just have to wait for it to regrow?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 05:39:32 pm »
I get a lot of this, if her feet are soft maybe bring her in on hard/dry ground for a few days to let her feet dry out. Are you sure you trimmed all of the cavity out, somethimes there is more dirt paced in and causing the lameness

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 06:23:34 pm »
Maybe have a look at FEET & FERTILITY buckets

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 10:24:32 pm »
They have zinc Rockies for feet and lamb and ewe buckets for fertility. Unfortunately don’t have a Mole Valley near me. I spent a bit on buckets last year but started thinking about their teeth with all the molasses in the hi-energy ones. This year I’ve got Himalayan rock salt and will buy the local co-ops lamb and ewe buckets as they didn’t go overly mad on them. Will prob stick with the zinc licks as well, just to make sure they get all the zinc they need.
She seems less lame today. We did trim it right back, although I hate doing it and exposing the inner part, but will get her in for a double check on it tomorrow.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 08:04:10 am »
Vet up north recommended Stockholm tar if you've exposed the inner
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 09:14:47 am »
Heard of that but never bought any. Seems it’s multi-purpose which prob would have been good for my best ram lamb that cracked his horn. Instead it’s half come off and despite iodine and trying to persuade it to drop off it seems intent to settle at an angle that will grow into his face which means now he’ll be sent off instead of staying here :(
Do you just paint the tar on and it dries to provide a covering?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 09:43:15 am »

I seem to remember him slathering it on with a flat stick - like a lolly stick but wider.

He did bandage on top, but if you can't bandage then I guess I would keep the sheep on concrete / hard standing for an hour or so.

It's used, amongst many other things, to waterproof horse's feet, so I would think it should be fine uncovered once it's dry
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 09:56:36 am »
Heard of that but never bought any. Seems it’s multi-purpose which prob would have been good for my best ram lamb that cracked his horn. Instead it’s half come off and despite iodine and trying to persuade it to drop off it seems intent to settle at an angle that will grow into his face which means now he’ll be sent off instead of staying here :(

It is quite runny. I pour some into an old marg tub and tip the foot in or just use disposable gloves and slather in on like SiN says. Slather is a good word for it. 

You can remove the broken horn with wire. I'm just forgetting what the wire is called but we use the same stuff to detusk boars.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 03:08:02 pm »

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 03:09:06 pm »
I think the horn is too wobbly to remove with wire. Not that I fancy doing it, but reading up about it it seems the horn needs to be firmly attached due to the pressure you have to apply whilst sawing.

Noticed Stockholm tar also used on lambs as a deterrent for predators which would be good. Says to put on the back of the neck and the tail, but if you put it on the tail does it not block the scent that the ewe needs to recognise the lamb??

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 03:24:19 pm »
If the bit of horn you want to remove is dead (feels cold to the touch), you would be able to cut it through with dehorning (like cheese wire but stronger) wire if one of you holds the tup's head steady and the other the bit of horn.  (If you think about it, it's like sawing through the last little bit when taking the whole horn off ;) )  Or, if the access to the thin part is sufficient, we use bolt cutters.  Just make sure you aren't cutting into live horn or there will be a bloodbath :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 03:26:32 pm »

Noticed Stockholm tar also used on lambs as a deterrent for predators which would be good. Says to put on the back of the neck and the tail, but if you put it on the tail does it not block the scent that the ewe needs to recognise the lamb??

I haven't ever used it like this, but I would say that the ewe will find it ;)   She will nuzzle under the tail if she needs to ;)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 04:33:20 pm »

Personally I think it is too messy. Be everywhere before it dried.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS