Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Running out the door  (Read 4569 times)

georgierodgers

• Joined Aug 2020
Running out the door
« on: September 05, 2020, 02:27:28 pm »
My 5 month old girl has a few times run out the front door and not listen to come back. I train her everyday to wait to go out the front door until I say ok. I’ll hold the door open and wait 10 seconds (give or take) before I say ok and then she will go out. But there have been a few times now that as my kids are going in and out which they do a lot throughout the day she will book it out the door and act like we don’t even exists when we are calling her to come. I am then so frustrated that I want to yell at her and let her know how angry I am but I know that’s not going to make her want to come to me. So what do I do for discipline?? Any advice on how to get her to not do this? She has only done it 2 or 3 times in all but I don’t want her doing it ever!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Running out the door
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 02:34:44 pm »
You are right that "telling her off" won't help.  My unbreakable first rule of dog training is "A dog that comes is  good dog".  Always, in every single circumstance, no matter what.  And all my dogs have a 100% robust, guaranteed recall. 

Whilst yes, running out the door is equally a safety issue, concentrate on the recall so that the consequence of the open door and a moment of impulsiveness can be limited quickly.

Lots and lots and lots of recall training.  Dog must know that coming is always good, always fun / enjoyable, always the easy choice to make because always good.  Build it up until the recall is a reflex, no thought or decision involved.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 03:17:09 pm »
Train the kids. Everyone in a household is responsible for dog safety and training and you all need to do the same thing or she is getting mixed messages. She is still a baby and still learning. Keep teaching her to wait before she goes through doors and gates. Teach her to sit in the hall and you go in and out but not the dog. Teach her to sit by you and away from you or even down. Back that up with a gun dog whistle. Sometimes getting that sit or down is quicker than recall and sometimes safer. Keep working on recall too.

Don't discipline because this is not her fault.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 03:20:22 pm »
Train the kids. Everyone in a household is responsible for dog safety and training and you all need to do the same thing or she is getting mixed messages. She is still a baby and still learning. Keep teaching her to wait before she goes through doors and gates. Teach her to sit in the hall and you go in and out but not the dog. Teach her to sit by you and away from you or even down. Back that up with a gun dog whistle. Sometimes getting that sit or down is quicker than recall and sometimes safer. Keep working on recall too.

Don't discipline because this is not her fault.
I agree that yelling at her is a waste of time and will put her against you.  But you really need to yell at the kids to SHUT THAT DOOR!  Every time, not just once or twiceHer life may depend on it.

I have had the same problem with a friend who must have been born in a barn.  She gets yelled at by both me and her husband.  At last after a long time she now checks that she has closed it properly - after having had to run after Missy and get help the local kids from the park to find her.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 04:50:29 pm »
As Harmony says, at 5 months pup is a baby and will probably be very eager to get outside to play with your children.
Depending on the age of your children you could ask them to call you before they venture outside so that you could be there to supervise puppy. If the children are youngish it might be difficult for them to reinforce the behaviour that you want from pup.
Or maybe they could pop puppy in a different room before they open the front door so that she is safe and doesn't get in the habit of thinking it is ok to dash out.
She is very young and will probably do this more as she gets to her 'teenage' phase.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 05:00:54 pm »
Have you got enough space to create an "airlock" with a stairgate so the kids have to go through the stairgate and close that before they open the front door? Agree that training is most important but for safety's sake, I think I'd be inclined to add a temporary additional barrier to keep kids and dog safe.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 10:27:49 am »
[member=205062]georgierodgers[/member] If you are still around, discipline the children. 

Mine are 48 and 50 and they never went through a door without shutting it behind them, even when small, or at least old enough to open it themselves.

If they can open it, they can close it, end of story

Saves a dog's life!  They need to be told this - 'if you love this dog you must keep her safe'
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:17:48 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 11:27:07 am »
[member=205062]georgierodgers[/member] If you are still around, discipline the children. 

Mine are 48 and 50 and they never went through a door without shutting it behind them, even when small, or at least old enough to open it themselves.

Saves a dog's life!  They need to be told this - 'if you love this dog you must keep her safe'

It's amazing how many people don't shut doors and gates for that matter. My OH always sat by the door in our local and people would come in during all weathers and leave it open.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 05:18:52 pm »

It's amazing how many people don't shut doors and gates for that matter. My OH always sat by the door in our local and people would come in during all weathers and leave it open.
There's a word missing from that quote lol Never - Gremlins been at it?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS