Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting a new garden  (Read 1642 times)

georgierodgers

• Joined Aug 2020
Starting a new garden
« on: September 04, 2020, 03:26:33 pm »
Hey guys I just moved to a house with no garden. What are some tips you guys have for starting a garden from scratch? I mean I’ll be cutting up the sod and everything. Also when do you plant rhubarb?? Spring? Thanks guys.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Starting a new garden
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 03:49:21 pm »
Hi Georgie,
Rhubarb is planted in winter if you are getting some from dividing an existing plant.  I assume a pot grown plant can go out anytime (but will be much slower to become usable) Make sure you add masses of well-rotted farmyard manure to the planting area.

Have a look at Charles Dowding.  He writes books, has a you tube channel with many useful videos and writes articles for magazines.  Basically he uses organic methods, no dig, and a long bed system.  The joy of his system is he doesn't like unneccessay work so has a very simple way to avoid weeds.

Are you intending to grow your crops without chemicals?  Will you just have veggies or flowers too?  Are you planning to grow on the flat in rows, or in a series of beds?  What sorts of crops do you intend to grow, and what area are you thinking of growing on? Do you have past experience of veg growing or are you a newcomer?  Whichever, there will be loads of advice on here to be shared  :garden:

We started our veg garden from scratch when we moved here 25 years ago.  A kind neighbour ploughed up an area for us but got a bit carried away (he was 15 and showing off his new plough  :D ) so suddenly we had an acre of exposed soil and no way to maintain it quickly.  Needless to say, weed seeds blew in and we have had a thistle, nettle and dock problem ever since, not to mention couch grass.  So what I learned from that is that slow is better than fast.  Just dig what you know you can maintain for the first year.  Growing potatoes is a good way to convert the land because of all the earth turning and churning you do.  You need to work in a lot of FYM or compost to get a decent crop, and you earth up the rows usually three times, then dig it over thoroughly to lift the crop in the autumn - all this means, especially if you cover the ground for the winter to keep the weeds from growing, that you have a lovely patch to grow in in spring, and you can start a second potato patch.  You can gradually expand your growing area that way, and keep on top of cultivations and rotation.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 03:55:12 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 07:47:37 pm »
If you are making beds and removing sod, I would recommend edging your beds e.g. with wood, otherwise weeds encroach from the edge and spread across your bed.
I would recommend starting maybe January - Feb (if the weather allows) as if you begin now you need to find a way of keeping weeds down over winter. Once the weather warms up a bit, regular hoeing reduces the time spent keeping weeds in check.
Have fun!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 02:11:51 pm »
Put cardboard or carpet on the bottom of your raised beds, fill with earth/compost and then plant anything you fancy.  If you make the raised beds hign enough they'll protect the plants from winter's ills.

These are just one plank high, but it's mainly flowers in there.  My vegetable and fruit beds are three planks high and I'm about to put a fourth level on so I don't have to bend so far down
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 10:01:05 am »
As others have said, I wouldn’t dig it! Layers of cardboard with either compost on top for beds or woodchip on top for paths.
Spend lots of time now looking at what you like or would want.
Spend time in your garden to understand how light works, where you might want to sit, etc, fun!
Don’t forget some apple trees!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS