Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drying peas  (Read 1711 times)

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
Drying peas
« on: September 02, 2020, 01:03:54 pm »
dear all

Looking for advice please. Peas never usually make it beyond the veg patch/garden but this year I've also grown Carlin peas which allegedly are a good substitute for chickpeas. They have produced prolifically and some are drying on the plant but many still green. I don't want them to mould/rot, so what's they best way to dry them for storage?

regards
Sally

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Drying peas
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 01:14:35 pm »
I leave mine on the vine with a good breeze through - but I grow my peas under cover (in a polytunnel).  For outdoor peas I would suggest cutting the whole vines, after a few good dry and blowy days, then hang them upside down under cover but with good ventilation ie in lots of small bundles - something like a lean-to would work.  Then when the pods are all crisp pick them from the vines and store them in a basket to dry a bit more, stirring them up a couple of times a day.  Finally when you are happy they are dry, pod them and store in a lidded tin.
What I have found is that the crop really isn't worth the effort, as enough peas for a good thick soup takes a whole row of peas to produce  :roflanim:  but still, we love them!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 02:28:12 pm »
oh - and there was me fantasising about having a winter's worth of pulses in jars! One pot of soup?!?!?  :-\

Thanks for the advice though  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 12:09:21 am »
oh - and there was me fantasising about having a winter's worth of pulses in jars! One pot of soup?!?!?  :-\

Thanks for the advice though  :)

Maybe your variety is more productive than mine - they were rare breeds  ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 11:32:13 am »
It has been so wet here any peas that I thought I might leave on to ripen more to save some seed, have gone mouldy/mildewy now, so all off to the compost heap soon...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 12:04:02 am »
I haven't grown peas since my first time because each pea contained a little grub - very embarrassing because my cousin and husband from Australia called, totally unexpectedly. I had known they were coming to the UK but not when. I started to get lunch and thought some peas fresh from the garden would be wonderful. Linda helped me pick them and pod them so she saw the grubs as well. They were actually totally unfazed and, once we'd got the grubs out, we still had the peas for lunch at their insistence.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 12:25:49 pm »
I haven't grown peas since my first time because each pea contained a little grub - very embarrassing because my cousin and husband from Australia called, totally unexpectedly. I had known they were coming to the UK but not when. I started to get lunch and thought some peas fresh from the garden would be wonderful. Linda helped me pick them and pod them so she saw the grubs as well. They were actually totally unfazed and, once we'd got the grubs out, we still had the peas for lunch at their insistence.

:roflanim:    We've been so lucky since we moved here 25 years ago because we don't seem to have any of whatever lays the eggs which turn into those grubs.  Mostly though I grow sugar snap and mangetout peas which don't give the grubs time to grow before the peas are eaten. The drying peas I grew didn't get them either though.  Lucky me!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS