Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep wormimg-help  (Read 690 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Sheep wormimg-help
« on: August 31, 2020, 09:12:08 am »
Hi, i am not new to keeping sheep i have had several sheep for several years l, however the one thing which i find a mind field is worming.

I have treated my sheep before with both oramec and crovect. The issue i have is that i only have three sheep, so when i buy these the smallest i can get is a litre, which i never fully use, before it goes out of date.

Does anyone know where i could get enough to treat three sheep, which is not going to cost an arm and a leg?

I have also looked at the verm-x options, do these actually work.
The sheep are around 40-60kgs each.

They are all pets so wont ever enter the food chain.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Sheep wormimg-help
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 10:33:13 am »
Verm-x is not a wormer so shouldn't be used as one.

Your vet may be able to draw up enough for your 3 sheep. However do they actually need worming? Adult non breeding sheep (i.e. pets, lawnmowers) shouldn't need routine worming. So before you worm, get your vet to run a fecal egg count to check for worm eggs in the poo, they will advise whether worming is even necessary based on this. If you routinely worm for no reason you'll end up with resistance to the wormer group which you really don't want to have.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 12:59:58 pm »
I agree with Twizzel, speak to your vet. They usually have wormers and will despense small quantities. Failing that I would speak to any of your sheep keeping neighbours. I'd happily give my neighbours three doses  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 01:34:43 pm »
What they ^^ both said!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS