Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Homemade electrolyte drench  (Read 2767 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Homemade electrolyte drench
« on: August 23, 2020, 10:57:48 am »
Anyone have a recipe for an electrolyte drench?
Am sure I read somewhere that if a sheep has had a jippy tummy it can upset the balance in the rumen. My lamb that’s been spilling his cud has suffered with tummy troubles, and once for about two weeks. He did move onto fresh grass but he seemed worse affected than his pals. I also wormed him which maybe made a slight difference but he was back to a bad belly again not long after.
I think he will probably be going off, which is a shame as he was the one I wanted to keep. But just wondered if anyone could verify whether the electrolyte drench could solve an issue like spilling cud?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Homemade electrolyte drench
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 11:31:55 am »
It might help to rehydrate him and give a temporary boost of energy but I can’t see it actually solving the problem. There’s plenty of electrolyte type drenches in country stores for not much £££ so I’d try one of them rather than making your own.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 03:56:58 pm »
I agree with twiz, it won't solve the cud-spilling problem, I am afraid.  But it might make him more comfortable.  I wonder whether he might benefit from a sort of hybrid of TLD (twin lamb disease) drench and the drench we give them for bloat? (But probably without the oil and bicarb, unless you think the rumen has stopped processing.) 

It might be worth adding some probiotic yoghurt and a bit of ginger to an electrolyte or TLD drench and see how he does.  I had one calf really loved his bloat prep and would drink it out of a bucket, so you might find you can put the drench, yoghurt and ginger on some feed for him, and not have to drench him by hand, once he is used to it.  But even then, I would say it would be a stop-gap, sorry.

I also agree with twiz about buying the real McCoy.  TLD remedy is something you will need to have on hand for lambing anyway, so you could get a bottle and give him a dose to see.  Same with PSF (Pfizer Scour Formula) or similar; something you keep by you at lambing time.  (And all will have long expiry dates.)

But yes, there is a cheapo when-the-stores-are-shut version.  For a sheep that's not eating : Lucozade! (The original version.)  Or for one that is eating, molasses dribbled on the hay or cake.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 06:05:00 pm »
So a twin lamb drench, or a specific electrolyte/vitamin type thing? Will go and pick something up from co-op tomorrow.
I’m afraid he will be going this weekend as even though he was my chosen keeper I don’t think it’s a good sign if he’s getting tummy troubles so much etc and now this cud spilling. A bit gutted to say the least, but this is my first lot of lambs and I’m trying to start thinking logically. Understand that if they start to go backwards it’s hard to get them right. Would just rather his last few days aren’t in discomfort (obvs I don’t know if he is or not) so will try any remedy.
I did read natural yoghurt could help - does all natural yoghurt contain what’s needed? Is it all “live”??

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 08:46:27 pm »
It depends what is actually wrong with his tummy. You say you wormed him- but could he be resistant to the wormer? Or it could be cocci- this is why doing a worm egg count is most important. I think I’d get him finished and send him off ASAP.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 10:26:28 pm »
does all natural yoghurt contain what’s needed? Is it all “live”??

I don't know, I am afraid.  If it says something like "probiotic", or "live cultures", or is skyr, it will be.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 12:18:56 pm »
I picked up a vitamin/mineral drench and gave him that. His tummy has still been squitty but drying out now. Not seen any cud spilling for a while so wonder if he maybe damaged his mouth on something prickly and it’s now healed. He’s only had two worm doses, one white and one clear. We put them back on creep to try and get their weight up but our plans to get them away were scuppered as they don’t meet the current minimum of where we were taking them. To top it he, or someone else, knocked one of his horns clean off so he’s been in the wars to say the least!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS