Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First sheep gone to abattoir today  (Read 1293 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
First sheep gone to abattoir today
« on: August 17, 2020, 08:11:29 pm »
so dropped our first 2 lambs off at our local small abattoir all happy my only concern is that they put my sheep in with maybe 15 other sheep / lambs is this normal? In my head I just thought the 2 of them would have a small pen for the night , ?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: First sheep gone to abattoir today
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 08:24:31 pm »
so dropped our first 2 lambs off at our local small abattoir all happy my only concern is that they put my sheep in with maybe 15 other sheep / lambs is this normal? In my head I just thought the 2 of them would have a small pen for the night , ?

Quite normal at our abattoir with sheep. Ours has a wipe board on each door that we write name, number dropped off and ear tag details.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 08:34:53 pm »
Arr OK its all new to me , I've worked with pigs loads and know if you mix pigs your in trouble, 
     Thats put my mind at rest ,
      The butcher told me they was good strong lambs and that I have done a good job with them so am happy !
     Just out of interest what do you pay for killing and skinin?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 09:05:24 pm »
Mine go into a pen with others too. The abattoir has their tag numbers to identify them to me, and I spray my initials on their back. Sheep shouldn’t fight, especially not like pigs do. I pay £35 for kill, cut to spec and vacuum pack.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 12:21:50 pm »
I was charged £16 just to kill and skin my cozen is a butcher so he will cut them up ( I will pay him in chops)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 01:02:43 pm »
That is probably about right. The skins are not worth anything at the moment so our abattoir told me the other day. It used to be about £10 to kill but the skin value dropping has meant kill charges have increased.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS