Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flock Health Plans  (Read 946 times)

Julia1521

• Joined Jul 2020
Flock Health Plans
« on: August 13, 2020, 02:08:05 pm »
Hi,

I have a smallholding in the UK. I've got a number of animals including 6 sheep as well as goats and alpacas, chickens, pigs etc. I am keen to sort out some herd/ flock health plans for all of them but have never done this before so i'm not sure what the process is so have a number of questions...

Firstly, is this something you would recommend doing?

Secondly, is this something i am meant to work on myself them present to the vet to check through or are they meant to do it for you?

Finally, how much detail do they tend to go into. Does it just cover the activities for the year or will it cover stuff like bio security measures and disease prevention and treatment.

If anyone has any examples of there health plans or any other advice on how the process of making one works that would be really appreciated.

Many thanks!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Flock Health Plans
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 02:33:53 pm »
We have to do a health plan for our Red Tractor assurance each year. It goes into details about diseases within herd/flock in last 12 months, breeding records (stillbirths, deaths before 24hrs, deaths before weaning), vaccination protocols, culling and mortality data. Biosecurity is part of it too as well as antibiotic useage. Our vet goes through it with us then produces a written report which we then show to our auditor. It includes recommendations for the next year going forward based on problems we've had in the last 12 months.

https://assurance.redtractor.org.uk/contentfiles/Farmers-5588.pdf?_=635912318838079632

The link above should take you to a good red tractor approved template. Your vet may have one similar but they normally contain similar topics to cover. We have 1 for the cattle and 1 for the sheep as they are very different entities.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Flock Health Plans
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 06:13:54 pm »
Most farm vets will offer a service to do an initial flock health plan with you, at whatever level you want help : consultancy to help you decide what to do, or review one you produce, whichever you feel happiest with.  Your vet may offer you a good deal as they usually feel it is in everyone's interests.

ETA and although I am sure you will get some helpful comments on here if you ask, I would always include your own vet as they will know what factors to consider in your local area.  (Incidence of fluke, for instance, and supplementation requirements.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 06:15:36 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS