Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Excess salivation/foaming  (Read 941 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Excess salivation/foaming
« on: August 12, 2020, 11:31:23 am »
I have a five month old lamb that I’ve noticed is rather foamy at the mouth when he’s chewing. None of the others are. I’ve seen him eating and bringing up cud and chewing. Could it be the extra warm, muggy weather we’re having? I have seen lambs proper dribbling saliva out of their mouths before but seemingly with no ill effects. This one seems a bit lethargic, but again they all seem a bit done in with the heat. The froth is a greeny colour, with extremely small pieces of grass in it. Prob what I’d expect it to look like after regurgitation. He’s not laid on his side, or grinding his teeth and he’s breathing is okay. I first noticed it on checking them last night.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:34:16 am by tommytink »

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Excess salivation/foaming
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 12:28:20 pm »
Sounds like he’s spilling his cud. If that’s the cause it can cause loss of condition so best to get him gone. Could always get the vet to check he doesn’t have any teeth problems though.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 02:01:06 pm »
Ah okay, thanks for that. Looked it up and it does sound like that. Could it be caused by a trauma to the mouth as well? Would it be too early for his adult teeth to be coming through?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 04:02:35 pm »
Not sure, I’ve never had it in any sheep or lambs here but from what I’ve read it can be genetic or could just be one of those things  :gloomy:  you could always get the vet to look though, just to rule out teeth problems Or trauma etc

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS