Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Some peop,e  (Read 2520 times)

Wendyanne

• Joined Aug 2020
Some peop,e
« on: August 10, 2020, 09:46:11 pm »
Hi everyone
I’m new to the site and wanted to speak to people about setting up a flock and I spoke to someone who clearly said they wanted paying for their time .... whatever happened just to having a chat ?
Puzzled x

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Some peop,e
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 11:27:56 pm »
Hi [member=204914]Wendyanne[/member]  and welcome to the forum. 

I personally can't help with sheep in any way, but I imagine some folk here will be prepared/happy to offer some general advice. 

No reason why an expert should offer their advice for free I would say though.  If one is talking about a handful of sheep to keep a meadow under control then that might be a casual chat with a knowledgeable neighbour, but if one is talking about setting up and managing/farming a good sized flock of sheep that would be different !!?  You don't say what your interest is nor where you are. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:40:14 am by arobwk »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 10:10:56 am »
Welcome to the forum Wendyanne. We had a few sheep for grass cutting, but that's the limit of our knowledge at the moment. The reason I say atm is because our land is slowly improving and a flock of Oessants will soon be an option- we know someone with a flock and they speak English.

Have you any books on the subject? We have a few, as yet unread, which we bought less expensively from charity bookshops.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 12:11:48 pm »
Suggest you give us some more information and see if the combined wisdom of the generous souls on TAS helps at all
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 01:34:14 pm »
Hmm, I've held off commenting on this. This is our website and our forums; by dint of that, I have an on-line presence. I get phonecalls and emails from folk looking for advice. Sometimes, they are long emails, very detailed - basically looking for what anywhere else would be called consultancy (and would cost real hard cash - try SAC for example). In most cases, I'm happy to help, even if it's signposting elsewhere or asking a few questions, because folk are polite.

Some emails, text messages, FB messages are just downright rude. No please, no introduction, no context, no thank you. Like it's their right to have me answer their queries in my time and free of charge. You wouldn't SPEAK to a person like that (I hope). I'm not saying the OP is like that btw, this is just a general observation. On a good day I respond, on  bad day, I just delete them. It kinda gets my goat. ::)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 03:48:24 pm »
Suggest you give us some more information and see if the combined wisdom of the generous souls on TAS helps at all

It's what forums are all about - I would advise you to explain where you are at/want to be and then ask away [member=204914]Wendyanne[/member] cos there's a load of folk on here who know loads about these stupid, oily creatures !
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 03:53:53 pm by arobwk »

Wendyanne

• Joined Aug 2020
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 08:15:09 pm »
Welcome to the forum Wendyanne. We had a few sheep for grass cutting, but that's the limit of our knowledge at the moment. The reason I say atm is because our land is slowly improving and a flock of Oessants will soon be an option- we know someone with a flock and they speak English.

Have you any books on the subject? We have a few, as yet unread, which we bought less expensively from charity bookshops.
I have done some research but it’s the practical advice , I was talking to a farmer and he there are so many issues with sheep , it’s more hassle than it’s worth ....

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 09:45:28 pm »
I would agree with Chris about doing some research and reading before you start to keep sheep.

Many people buy a few lambs and grow them on over the summer before taking them to market or the abattoir at the end of the year. That way, you get to understand the basics of sheep keeping before starting a flock. If you have no previous knowledge or experience having a chat will only be the beginning of the process.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 09:56:19 pm »
I was talking to a farmer and he there are so many issues with sheep , it’s more hassle than it’s worth ....

Pffftt! I could have told you that for as little as fifty quid!  ;)

On a more serious note, "The Sheep Book for Smallholders" by Tim Tyne is the book to get. However, it looks as though it may be out of print just now. Does anybody know?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 11:15:03 pm »
Well [member=204914]Wendyanne[/member],  even I could have told you animals equal hassle (sheep or otherwise) yet, to my surprise, people still keep/farm them (thankfully cos I like a bit of meat). 
Sheepy TAS members are clearly happy to engage with you Wendyanne, but you have yet to explain where you want to go with sheep or where you are located. (??)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:17:01 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 11:49:01 pm »
Hi everyone
I’m new to the site and wanted to speak to people about setting up a flock and I spoke to someone who clearly said they wanted paying for their time .... whatever happened just to having a chat ?
Puzzled x

Well, here we all are waiting for you to ask your questions Wendyanne.  Perhaps you would like to start a thread in the 'sheep' section (your intro isn't the place to go into sheep keeping in depth)

Farming is a business, not a hobby for most, so time is at a premium just as it is in any workplace.  There are few farmers who have time to spend talking when they should, and need to be working.  However, on TAS we are mostly very helpful, in fact always very helpful, and many people will give up their time to answer your queries.  We have the advantage of choosing when we are free to come to the forum to chat.  You won't just be getting one person's ideas though, you will get lots to choose from - when/if you get your own flock of sheep you will need to build up your own knowledge by your own experience as well as speaking to others, and you have to make your own decisions from that. You can't though make someone you have just met somewhere give you their time, nor can you rely on them to give you a good or even correct answer. But you've found us now so fire away.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 09:00:40 am »
Hmm, I've held off commenting on this. This is our website and our forums; by dint of that, I have an on-line presence. I get phonecalls and emails from folk looking for advice. Sometimes, they are long emails, very detailed - basically looking for what anywhere else would be called consultancy (and would cost real hard cash - try SAC for example). In most cases, I'm happy to help, even if it's signposting elsewhere or asking a few questions, because folk are polite.

Some emails, text messages, FB messages are just downright rude. No please, no introduction, no context, no thank you. Like it's their right to have me answer their queries in my time and free of charge. You wouldn't SPEAK to a person like that (I hope). I'm not saying the OP is like that btw, this is just a general observation. On a good day I respond, on  bad day, I just delete them. It kinda gets my goat. ::)

Totally get the above comment!

Well, here we all are waiting for you to ask your questions Wendyanne.  Perhaps you would like to start a thread in the 'sheep' section (your intro isn't the place to go into sheep keeping in depth)

Farming is a business, not a hobby for most, so time is at a premium just as it is in any workplace.  There are few farmers who have time to spend talking when they should, and need to be working.  However, on TAS we are mostly very helpful, in fact always very helpful, and many people will give up their time to answer your queries.  We have the advantage of choosing when we are free to come to the forum to chat.  You won't just be getting one person's ideas though, you will get lots to choose from - when/if you get your own flock of sheep you will need to build up your own knowledge by your own experience as well as speaking to others, and you have to make your own decisions from that. You can't though make someone you have just met somewhere give you their time, nor can you rely on them to give you a good or even correct answer. But you've found us now so fire away.

And totally this one too.

There are semi retired farmers who will have more time to chat and show people their stock and pass on their experience. You just need to find one, roll up your sleeves and offer some help in return.

And as suggested ask away on here!

:wave: :wave:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 06:02:40 pm »
[member=204914]Wendyanne[/member] - the message is clearly "ask away".  The forum is waiting for some interesting, challenging questions they can chat about whether it be a flock of three or a flock of ... a lot more !!

(Personally, unless it's a tender bit of lamb nicely seasoned in a good curry sauce, I'm quite disinterested in the subject of sheep.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:38:02 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 12:46:38 pm »
[member=204914]Wendyanne[/member] - the message is clearly "ask away".  The forum is waiting for some interesting, challenging questions they can chat about whether it be a flock of three or a flock of ... a lot more !!

(Personally, unless it's a tender bit of lamb nicely seasoned in a good curry sauce, I'm quite disinterested in the subject of sheep.)

Oh but arobwk once you have eaten meat from a sheep which you have raised to perfection on your own land, then you will want no other  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 05:42:13 pm »
Hello wendyanne, just seen your post. Roast lamb especially chops, love them. Setting up a flock, different for everyone. Too many breeds, some lightweight, some heavyweight, some bonkers, all with the same purpose in life, finding fabulous ways to die!

I originally had pure Dorset Downs but have bred them down to Dorset X Shetland so they are lighter for me to turn and still don't move fast enough meaning i have to run! Bucket training a must!

Brother in Law swore by Lleyn, I didn't like them, guy who buys my cattle said they were mental, others might disagree. I liked Shetland, still do but they won't lamb out of season (december) Dorsets do, as do the crosses.

What are your fences like? Some sheep have horns, are you game for these breeds? If you aren't fussed about getting top-notch money at auction keep with the natives, there are lots. If you need the prices, aim for the commercials. I have purchased in the past cade lambs and reared them. One was a Texel X mule who had a bag to compete with a milking cow, She was fabulous! Even managed to shift a couple of schmallenburg lambs 2 years in a row when it was doing the rounds in this country, whereas a Dorset Down ewe struggled. However, due to being a commercial breed she was knackered by age 5, down to 1 lumpy tit, so she had to go, but over the years we had 2 sets of triplets, 1 set of quads and twins. The Dorset lasted til she was 8! (A bit like comparing hybrid and pure bred chickens really!!)

Sheep can be fun, but I find, compared to cattle who will insist on p***ing me off regards to cracking fence stakes with their arses, they have more problems - feet, flystrike to name just 2.

I never planned for Dorset Downs, i happened to be in the right place at the right time and it just happened (17 years ago). If you really aren't sure, google and be careful when you buy. We bought some lambs in from auction years ago and they came riddled with worms, even though they were kept isolated, my own flock became burdened. It's a shock when that happens.

I like many others am having a bad year and have recently had a clear out, including cattle which means bare minimum going through winter. Buying stock in can be fun, but remember you don't want to go hungry, neither do livestock. I know some big farmers run at full capacity, I dont, I'm way understocked but I'm afraid I have to be to ensure all get fed.

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS